Canopy Height

If you are going with metal halides, figure you need 8-12" of clearance from the bulb to the water. It helps if you can rig the canopy so it tilts back to work in the tank easier. Just remember that maintenance will be done more if the tank is capable of letting your arms have accessibility.

dave

If you get no splashing, as low as you can go.

Sometimes for our eyes the lights look better at different heights, gives a better, even, spread of light.

I would base the height off both those aspects.

Well I was going to build the canopy about 18"- 20" high, add the MH & VHO retros do you think that is a fair height? I plan on having two doors in the front and the top to open also. Here is the basic design I still need help on dimensions tho to cut the 2X2's for a 90 gallon. Hay Steve did my tank get in yet?

canopy.jpg

Next question what type fastners should I use to put the 2X2's together? Screws, Nails...

ARLO,

I used finished 1 x 2's covered in 1/4" ply. By the time I glued the frame together and glued the skin on - the canopy is rock solid without any nails. I tried to make the thing as light as possible.

Here is a pic of the framing . . .

51781IMG_1374.JPG

and the outside. . . this is a bad pic, it looks a little more professionally done in person.

51781IMG_1379.JPG

-Mike

Thanks for the visual Mike, I will refine my design and just build it.. Got to wait until Fri. when I get the new tank so I can get exact measurements.

Back