WTB: USED 120 Gallon Reef Ready Tank and Stand

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
Don’t have the $$$ for new, so looking for used.

I do have a new, never used 75 gallon RR tank I bought in 2017 (been sitting empty in my basement), Oceanic stand (pretty old) that I reinforced and refinished and, finally, a custom hood/canopy I could offer in trade.

The upgrade of the upgrade?
Yep, I should have gone 120 back then. The original plan was 40 gallon Caribbean tank, 75 Indo-Pacific. Since I’m going with just 1 tank, I figure I’ll enjoy the length of a 4’ tank with the depth (front to back) of the 120.

Oh, and Mrs griss is starting to talk about the basement work so, if I can get her full buy in, the wall will get moved faster😉

ETA - Gotta get this done before spring/fishing season. Already have our first Largemouth trip planned.

Last edited:
Well, I need to get her buy in to spend the $$$ for the 2x4’s and drywall. The problem is, she’s cheaper than me🤣
Just drive to the middle of nowhere and find that abandoned house along the side of the road. Cut out what you need. No one will know 😂🚔

Arguably my greatest accomplishment so far this year! Now I just gotta find a way to sweeten the deal so it happens again. 😁

Too risky resealing tanks anyway
When I got the 200 I had at the old house from my parents, I completely resealed the entire tank before I set it up. But, it was a lot of work. Not sure I'd want to do it again, even on a smaller tank.

When I got the 200 I had at the old house from my parents, I completely resealed the entire tank before I set it up. But, it was a lot of work. Not sure I'd want to do it again, even on a smaller tank.
I would not have trusted either that is why I did not grab it.

I've previously had gotten quotes for a Planet Aquarium and Glass Cages reef ready 120 tank and stand. The price was what drove me to seek out a used tank.

Since I haven't had any luck here, Offer Up, Craigslist and FB, I thought I'd see what a new Aqueon would cost.
- Petco and PetSmart said they don't have the tank listed on their website, which they don't, they cannot order it.
- Pet Supplies Plus is going to reach out to their supplier to see if they can order it.
- When I called Tropical World, I got a generic voicemail so I didn't leave a message.

So, I decided to call Aqueon and was told they discontinued the 120. Such a shame, that's a great tank size. They do have the 125 but it's not reef ready, it's longer and would require me to use 3 MH instead of 2, and it doesn't have the front to back depth I'm looking for.

So, it sounds like, unless I can find used, I'm either going to have to settle for the 75 or put off the upgrade even longer until I can save up for a Planet Aquarium or Glass Cages tank.

Back