Canopy or open top?

willtel76

When I built my canopy a few years ago I failed to read the instructions for the Gorilla Glue that I used and some of my joints have started to separate. I knew I was going to have address it soon but last night while doing some cleaning my canopy pretty much fell apart in my hands. Suddenly I was balancing a bunch of wood a few fans and a very hot metal halide bulb over my tank, the canopy is still repairable but it will take some time so I decided to run the tank open top until I do so.

I mounted my mogul base metal halide into an old reflector I had laying around and temporarily mounted it to the wall. Now that I have seen the tank open top I kind of like the look of it. What do you guys think? Should I put the canopy back on or find a more permanent solution for my lighting and leave it open?

Tank with canopy.

49996118_847531cbbc.jpg

With the canopy removed.

397587107_0dcdcc2f54.jpg

397587003_c75dfdf27a.jpg

397587075_b3e3c8cbab.jpg

Top down with pumps on

397587305_0d34a25658.jpg

I like both looks. IMO, it depends on how much light spread you are getting. If you are lighting up half your livingroom floor, then I'd say put the canopy back on...

Yeah, it's kind of neat looking for a while but the reflected light can be REAlLY annoying, depending on what else in in that and adjacent rooms.

Canopy looks nicer to me, also one thing to consider is evaporation. In the winter months it dries out here and I loose an inch of water in about 24 hours off the top of my 75 if I don't put the top on it.

If you have jumpers in your tank or have any plans on getting one someday, you'll want the canopy.

BTW - I like both looks.

It's good for a change just like SDguy said, but when it's all said and done..."the canopy gives it that finished look." Also, you don't want to leave your tank open like that for people to put their hands in or god knows what else..."your canopy looks great."

I love your stand it looks great. Now may be the time to make the canopy as an upside down pyramid to match the stand, that would look awesome.

I like it with the canopy.
What was it about the glue that made it give?
I hope you didn't use the glue on that stand, it's a work of art! Very nice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9299702#post9299702 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarthBaiter
What was it about the glue that made it give?
I hope you didn't use the glue on that stand, it's a work of art! Very nice.

You are supposed to wet the wood before you glue it and I failed to do that until I was almost finished and putting the trim on it. All of the trim is fine but last night the brace that runs across the back came completely loose and there was nothing to hold it square. It needs a fresh coat of paint in the inside anyway and it will give me a chance to update my reflector and mount my moonlight.

I didn't build the stand, I got lucky and found one that fit the old acrylic tank almost perfectly so I bought it and built the canopy to match. I just recently had a new glass tank built that was sized for the stand. The tank in the first picture is the acrylic tank.

The canaopy looks great! Great job building it. Next time, use a few stainless steel screws on it. Do not trust glue only.

Great looking set-up. My chocolate lab would have that on the floor within minutes... Big dumb dog.
:D

Back