Carbon Group Buy

Itd be no problem to stop by your house, if you just want to pm me with your address and good time to stop by.Thanks.

-Justin

Atta boy jlfnjlf :D

Saved the day! Sooo much easier.My mountain looks like a molehill now, thanks again:thumbsup:

So like I was tellin John, looks like I'll be able to make my agenda. And will see you all that's willing to meet me in the parkinglot at yourreef this Sunday @ 3pm, I'll be there for 1 hour, otherwise I'll catch the rest of you at the meeting in October :)

-Justin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8155320#post8155320 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74
UPDATE

As I promised, once this order was secure I would share this very valuable resource with ALL of RC, and here it is:

http://carbonactivatedcorp.com/

If and when you call, I highly recommend you speak to the sales manager, Omitha Devendra. I also highly advise you to use my name in reference, Justin Bales. Dont use my name if you want an ordinary deal, but do use it if you want an exceptional deal ;)

-Justin

Justin - Could you please provide me a link to a chemical breakdown of the carbon or a review from Randy Holmes Farley?

What's everyones opinion of the carbon?

Kinda confusing RasBobre,

I dont follow the relevance of your quote of me to your question?
Also confused as to why you would think I have a chemical breakdown of the carbon? Or review from R.H.Farley?

If you wanted a chemical breakdown analysis, I would highly suggest giving the company a call, they were very helpfull and quickly brought me back the results of pH when I was concererned about the affects/residuals of the acid rinse. Im sure they could email or fax you there analysis if you asked.

I never corresponded with R.H.Farley, I understand how you may have assumed that from what I said, but it was actually Boomer who I was corresponding with. Another really smart guy.

-Justin

On a side note, I highly doubt you'll find a review unless it's from us or another club out in Texas I believe. Somehow has been undetected by anyone. As far as carbon for our reeftanks, there should only be a few requirements.

1. It should be bituminous coal based.
2. It should be granular, for optimal surface area absorption.
3. Acid, or water rinsed. Reduces dust,film, etc. Basically just nicer to work with cleaner material.
4.Lastly, pore size, cant be too big, or too small, usually this varies between its intended use from the manufacturer. Air filter v. Liquid filtering will need different pore sizes to be efficient.

Hope that helps. The carbon from the past buys only fell short in two areas that I know of.
1. it was pelletized
2. it wasnt rinsed
3. Unknown, was it coconut shell?Or coal based?Big difference, but again unknown.

-Justin

Hey Justin,

Just a clarification question:

So the carbon that you purchased was acid was and water rinsed - so there are no dust? I still have carbon from the group buy I purchased a while back, but I hate rinsing the stupid thing out before using it. I may consider purchasing the same carbon you purchased just so I don't have to deal with the rinsing hassle.

Minh

Hey Minh,
No, it does have dust. But way less than normal, and definately alot less than the batch we got together. There certainly wont be much to rinse, but you may notice a film of dust on the surface of the water if you do. For people using large amounts, like 2+ cups at a time I would definately advise it. Because it's acid rinsed it has a pH of 6.5-7.0, so the larger the amount used the greater the potential for it to affect your tanks pH by -.1 or more, again, depending on the quantity, but is virtually equivical to water. I'm personally very cautious and rinse everything regardless, but what really urked me is with the stuff I bought from the store I would seriously have to rinse it like 3-4 times before it became dust free. Stuff like Kent I was really happy with, as it too is rinsed and very clean carbon, just the surface area makes it inefficient.

Visually, it's very similar to Black Diamond, only a lil smaller. Kinda like Folgers Crystals ;) And where you'd normally use a cup, only 2/3 is needed.

-Justin

Carbon Order

Carbon Order

Minh, Rob, Sam, etc.
I am placing an order for a bag for myself and could add another bag or two to the order if you were interested. This isn't going to be another group buy, only bag lots. You can split the bags up yourselves if so inclined.
Let me know if you want to get in on this order. I will probably place the order today, or early next week at the latest. I received some carbon to hold me over for a couple of weeks, so I haven't been in a hurry to order it. Although I am almost out now.
Thanks,
Donovan

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8247047#post8247047 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefugee
Donovan,

Do you know how much a bag cost and how many pounds per bag?

Minh

The best rate I found was in a groups of 3's. After taxes and shipping it is approximately around 70 bucks for ea. 55lb bag. I think the only "real" break in shipping if you order a pallet's worth.

-Justin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8245787#post8245787 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74
Kinda confusing RasBobre,

I dont follow the relevance of your quote of me to your question?
Also confused as to why you would think I have a chemical breakdown of the carbon? Or review from R.H.Farley?

If you wanted a chemical breakdown analysis, I would highly suggest giving the company a call, they were very helpfull and quickly brought me back the results of pH when I was concererned about the affects/residuals of the acid rinse. Im sure they could email or fax you there analysis if you asked.

I never corresponded with R.H.Farley, I understand how you may have assumed that from what I said, but it was actually Boomer who I was corresponding with. Another really smart guy.

-Justin

Sorry Justin, thought you may have known more or could've provided me with a bit of info on the product you ordered.

I ordered up a 55# sack today to check out. Omitha was happy to hear me mention your name.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8250661#post8250661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RasBobre
Sorry Justin, thought you may have known more or could've provided me with a bit of info on the product you ordered.

I ordered up a 55# sack today to check out. Omitha was happy to hear me mention your name.

Hahaha. Dang. Is it just me or does that sound like a back handed apology. I love the interenet :/ Since when does a whole chemical breakdown constitute as a "bit" of information? :p

Kidding aside, what ever the analysis for bituminous coal based carbon is, thats what it is ;)Also, the size I ordered everyone is the 12X40 mesh size. But the bit of info I provided everyone:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8250661#post8250661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74 The difference with this carbon than some is first it is meant and designed for fluidized filtration. You'll be surprised to find out how many carbons aren’t even meant for aquatic purposes, but intended for air filtration or some other use.2nd, it is GAC (granular activated carbon) This has been proven to have more surface area than pelletized carbon. Also it is coal based not coconut shell based, water rinsed and importantly, acid washed(also a distinguishing factor in grade and quality )

Omitha's a cool dude. His boss keeps a tank at there work, though he's not in the hobby he was very appreciative for the fact that we were, and very eager to be as helpfull as possible. He would be a great resource and Im sure he could relay to the chem techs to get answeres to more specific questions.HTH.

-Justin

Just wanted to give a BIG thank you to Justin for pulling this all together and for all the hard work he put into this.

THANKS
~Steve~

I second that!!!! Great stuff man, 1 cup of carbon + 1 cup of RowaPhos = instant dance party in the reactor......this stuff is cool!!!! Doesn't clump in the reactor like the stantard stuff and mixes evenly, no stratification of carbon and media.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8254362#post8254362 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sacramentodots
I second that!!!! Great stuff man, 1 cup of carbon + 1 cup of RowaPhos = instant dance party in the reactor......this stuff is cool!!!! Doesn't clump in the reactor like the stantard stuff and mixes evenly, no stratification of carbon and media.

You mix your Rowa and GAC in the same reactor ?

Back