Care of a Staghorn hermit crab...

fasteddie99

I've had a staghorn hermit for about 2 months now and he seems to be doing very well...for the most part.

Its seems like about once a month he goes through a spell where he does nothing but sit there for 3-4 days and cleans his antennae. He will eat as long as I target feed him, but he will not go after it on his own during this time. Normally he is all over the tank cleaning the sand and is fun to watch, but for the second time he is just sitting in one spot of the tank and not moving much.

The last time he did this I fed him thawed scallop and would always eat, but if it was 2" from him, he wouldn't use the energy to move to get it. I would have to hold it in front of him until he grabbed it. (then he has to fight with nassarius snails)

I just checked all my levels and they were all fine except for the PH was down to 7.8 where it is usually at 8.2.

For those that dont know, his shell is made up of a coral full of hydroids (at least thats what I've read) and it requires light for it to grow. You can see the hydroids in this picture.

IMG_5812.jpg
[/IMG]

Anyone else ever have one of these? If so, successfully?:)

IMG_5603.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I was wondering about that, but I havent found any exo-skeleton floating around the tank. I may have missed it. Hopefully so. Thanks!:)

Back