carryon container for frag transport "damp" question for eric borneman

beaniebeagle

i hope i have the correct area

question about nov 2005 article

whats the smallest size container you would recommend to have while transporting a frag "damp" ie, since the TSA is limiting the amount of the fluid and the size of container, was wondering if doing it damp would get around their restrictions for carry ons

of course the top could be opened every so often for an exchange of fresher air

I'm not eric :) but I'll chime in, I have hauled corals back from other places with me via carry on luggage. Heres what i did. I had the store I purchased them at bag as normal, then give me some newspaper and extra rubber bands. When i got to the airport I went into the bathroom and soaked the newspaper in the bag water then wrapped the coral in it then dumped out all the water.
I then squeezed as much air out of the bag as possible and re-rubberbanded. I would not exchange the fresh air as you are thinking, you dont want corals to get air right? they only need the moisture from the newspaper. I shipped sps frags, as well as 3 different ricordeas. All corals did wonderfully, even though they were in the water for 2 days then dry packed on the plane and drive home for about 8 hours. A simple bag is all thats needed, I dont know why you'd need a container, If thats what Eric said i may have to look up that article and see what was said.
Chris

Back