Catch fish in display tank !

juanmanuelsanch

How do you catch your fish in the display tank? I need to catch them to put them in a Hospital tank.

The fish I need to catch are:
1 bicolor blenny
1 lawnmoner blenny
1 six line wrasse

I already tried the submerged bottle trap, but they dont go in despite having in there for more than a day...

Food on the net, forget it, they see it they wont go near.

Cant drain the tank.

Whats your recomendation?

Thanks !

It's a 200 gallon tank. So it's impossible for me to completely drain.

Yeah I also used the same link as reference, but none of the above seem to work for my fish hahaha.

Well if no other option presents itself just keep in mind that you could go buy a bunch of Brute containers or something similar at a hardware store, drain the tank, catch the fish and then return the containers when your done. No harm no foul.

Use light trick, has always worked well for me. Wait untill all the lights have been shut for a few hours and everything is completely dark and then turn all the aquarium lights on full. This will cause your fish to wake up suddenly and they will swim in a daze for about a minute and that will be your chance to net them. Good luck.

I had to tear apart my 60 cube to catch a hippo tang and it sucked. Only good thing about it was that I ended up redoing my aquascape and coral placement (not by choice). I tried the fish trap which many people say will work. You may want to look into that. I know tb aquatics has it for around $50 or so. Good Luck!!

I've had success using two nets - one large one and one small one - I caught my Kole Tang in my 90g DT that way - Had the large net across an area that I chased him into using the smaller net to guide him into the larger one. Good luck.

I once used a fishing line and a size 26 hook to catch a Foxface that was eating all my zoas. I couldn't believe it when it actually worked. I put him in my sump and he was eating frozen food again in minutes.

With as many fish as you're hoping to catch, you might bite the bullet and buy a fish trap online.

Take a plastic water bottle and remove the cap. Cut along the circumference of the bottle just below the cap and remove the pieces. Invert the piece you cut so that it makes an opening in the bottle with the cap side in. Put some food in the trap and drop it in. Fish will be able to swim into the trap but not out of the bottle (if you are lucky)

Dangle the net in the tank for a few hours. Then turn off all pumps, feed fish to coax them out. Keep feeding small amounts until they come closer and closer. Have your free hand on the net. A quick turn towards the surface and hopefully a fish!

It has taken me a few hours of coaxing, or just a few minutes with others. All depends on the fish, how calm or how smart they are.

Don't move the net unless you truly think you'll get one, or else it may take another hour of trying lol

I have also used the bottle method to catch a six line wrasse.

I was able to catch the bicolor blenny using the bottle trick. The six line wrasse is a nightmare to catch. I really dont know what to do.

I really need to catch them all to get the fallow period started in the DT

Well I was able to catch the six line yesterday after days of keeping the trap in the same place.

The Lawnmoner is another story, I have never seen him eat any type of dry or frozen food, so I dont know what I could use as bait to make him go to the trap.

Any ideas are welcome.

Back