Cayenne's 300G 72"x36"x27" Upgrade

June 15, 2009

June 15, 2009

Got some stuff done this past weekend, I have a couple of weeks of heavy travel coming up, so I am trying to stay ahead of the game. We are hoping to have the rocks moved into the tank this week. The tank has finally hit the overflows, but I am short somewhere around 20 gallons in the sump to start up the skimmer. I also rebuilt my UV sterilizer with new quartz sleeves and bulbs.

We have been making 80 gal batches of SW all weekend long. I decided to mix outside of the tank to minimize the potential of additional phosphates from the salt binding agents. Once the RODI catches up we will have enough to start the skimmer.

I am seriously contemplating removing the fish from the 150 and putting them in my QT setup for a few weeks while I begin removing all of the rock and other equipment that will be reused. I think this will be easier as it will allow me to complete the aquascaping 100% without rushing, and I can leave my anemone, and softies in the 150, while all of the SPS gets put in the frag tank. This will also allow me to remove the unnecessary equipment and get it installed on the new system, while giving me a couple of weeks to iron out the bugs. I am sure I have missed a few things during the design that will not become obvious until I start everything up... Does anyone see a downside?

Tank filling with water early on Saturday. This was after Melanie rinsed 240 lbs of sand outside. I think she is still a little sore.

102_2445.jpg

Moved the frag tank into position and hung the light.
102_2449.jpg

July 4, 2009

July 4, 2009

A few full resolution pictures. The water is still cloudy from sand settling, and Melanie was having trouble with the camera. It's time for a new one, the white balance has been causing trouble lately.

Anyway, I will do a complete update tomorrow. On top of doing this for two days straight, I have a head cold as well, so I am beat.

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0026.jpg

102_2702.jpg

August 2, 2009

August 2, 2009

It's been several weeks since my last update, and they have been several VERY LONG weeks. I have been all over the country for work every week, and every weekend is spent trying to get this project cleaned up a bit.

We made good progress this weekend, and I am finally not embarrassed of the mess that has been present for the last couple of months. Also, the old 150 was broken down yesterday and is now at it's new home.

Most of the coral is out of the frag tank and in the display at this point. New growth is already evident, PE is good, and the colors are starting to come back as I get the chemistry dialed back in... Fighting water clarity issues though, the water column always has a lot of particulates in it. I am hoping it starts to clear up, been running two carbon reactors, and this week I am going to run filter socks on both drains as well to see if it helps.

DSCN0031.jpg

Sump Room
DSCN0035.jpg

DIY Probe Holder using acrylic and a Tunze Magnet
DSCN0033.jpg

Bubble King doing it's Job
DSCN0034.jpg

Equipment Room
DSCN0036.jpg

Finally got my calcium reactor back online today. I have been waiting for the new electronic regulator to come in for a month. Pretty cool toy though.
DSCN0037.jpg

Electrical Board
DSCN0039.jpg

Frag Tank and 40G Fuge
DSCN0040.jpg

Re: August 2, 2009

Re: August 2, 2009

is that a custom made fuge tank? never seen something that shallow with an overflow built in. who makes it?

and the tank looks great...

Frag Tank and 40G Fuge
DSCN0040.jpg
[/B]

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15499402#post15499402 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by janey
whats a electronic regulator for ??? How those that work ???

Serves the same purpose as a regular C02 regulator but is much more precise. Your turn the know to how many seconds you want between bubbles and your done. Very precise, and no more fidgeting like typical ones.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15499402#post15499402 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by janey
is that a custom made fuge tank? never seen something that shallow with an overflow built in. who makes it?

and the tank looks great...

I bought that from a store that was going out of business. Not sure who made it, but it is a custom tank, can't find anything that matches the dimensions it has...

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Melanie and I went on a shopping expedition yesterday and acquired a few new acro's and milli's , as well as a new Acanthurus Monroviae and Acanthurs Fowleri tang. Pics below of the Monroviae, but the Fowleri is shy and refuses to come out of his hiding place to take a picture. Lost a nice Blonde Naso Tang that I just purchased, so these two will fill the stocking list as far as tangs go...

ORA Pearlberry
102_2799.jpg

102_2803.jpg

102_2805.jpg

102_2807.jpg

102_2796.jpg

Female Clarkii giving me the eye... I guess I am bothering her. She is right about 5.5" inches and fat as can be.
102_2808.jpg

Kudos to you for that nice QT setup. I see a Midas Blenny in there, my fav. fish!! I'm waiting for LFS to get one in for me. Nice tank you have!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15540283#post15540283 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acemow
Kudos to you for that nice QT setup. I see a Midas Blenny in there, my fav. fish!! I'm waiting for LFS to get one in for me. Nice tank you have!

Thanks, the Midas is Melanie's fish, it will be a nice addition to the DT when he is added...

As we have been taking all of these picture throughout this project, I have become more and more disenchanted with my Point & Shoot camera. Today I finally bit the bullet and dropped the cash on a new DSLR. Here is a couple of pics that I shot this evening, still learning everything on it, but so far it has performed wonderfully with my limited knowledge.

All of these were taken free hand with the standard 18-55mm lens, but I did breakout the 55-250mm lens and tripod earlier and had some fun with it.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Back