chaeto and copepods in refugium

deadlycombo82

I have a one gallon finned refugium attached to my coral tank filled with Chaeto algae. I put one small piece of live rock and seeded it with copepods and mysid shrimp. It seems to me that the chaeto explodes in this thing. I bought the water pump that is suggested for it and the LED hang on light that also comes with it. Does anyone use Chaeto in their refugium? Do you have to cut that stuff at least once a week? I have been tearing half off every week or two. Does anyone have any tricks to save the copepods in the bunch that you tear off?

My chaeto hasn't seem to grow in the 6 months that I got it. I just have it under a 60w light in my ref. dunno if that's good or bad

To save the pods just shake the cheato before you remove it, but dont prune it too much or it cant do its job as effectively. The cheato will stop growing as much when the excess nutrients are under control.

To save the pods I hang the cut macroalage an inch over water in a bucket and after a little while they drop into the water. It's normal to get that growth with a good light.

To save the pods I hang the cut macroalage an inch over water in a bucket and after a little while they drop into the water. It's normal to get that growth with a good light.

Maybe I should change my fuge light... how would a standard white fluorescent bulb do? Cause right no my cheato is under a yellow flood light and it grows but not very fast.

You can get a par30 LED bulb, like 21 watts, on Ebay from China for $20 shipped. It looks like a flood light, but it has like 7 led bulbs on it. It screws right in just like the floodlight but uses less energy and gives much more proper light for macros. I have one of them on a fuge.

It looks like this -
th

Back