Chalk Bass

Kriegad

I recently read an article that mentioned that chalk bass have a one year lifespan. Is this true? How old has your oldest chalk bass been? I was planning on buying a group of them but may reconsider if they are so short lived. Any experiences to share?

I would be skeptical. I've never kept the chalk but my harlequin bass is over 8 and I kept a lantern bass for 6 and they are both in the same genus.
Myles

If I recall correctly, I think I had a couple for a few years before breaking it down. Cool little fish, that would keep mostly between the rock work or in close proximity to them. It was a niche my other fish didn't really keep, so I loved them.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

I had some that lived for years. Great little fish. They prefer to be in groups, I had three.

Good to hear. I think I’m going to get 5 of them for my 400 gallon. I googled them and an article came up talking about how they can change sexes multiple times per day and the doctor being interviewed mentioned they had a one year lifespan... it is nice to know they won’t die of old age by the time I get them out of quarantine, lol.

I had several for a couple years.

I lost them to jumping after several years..

I moved and got a new tank and had to wait several months for the custom lid and during that time they all jumped.

They are pretty cool.

Back