Chambered Nautilus

TNeal

Hi all,

I currently have two Chambered Nautilus. The first I have had for a couple of months, the second about two weeks. These are fantastic animals. i ws just wondering if anyone else out there has kept/studies these animals? I would enjoy swapping information.

:wavehand:

Hi TNeal

Can you give us a rough description of keeping the nautilus???? tank size? temp etc?????

Thanks
Colin

Nautilus

Nautilus

I would be glad to tell you about the Nautilus's maintenance protocol.

First they are in a 38 gallon tank. They will be going into a 55 in a couple of weeks. As they grow they will be moved to bigger quarters.

Because of their intolerance of nitrogous waste I do a 50% weekly water change. I had to buy a chiller for these guys as they need cooler water because they are deep water creatures. I keep the temperature at 65F.

I feed them almost every day. Their diet consists of smelt and freeze dried krill. I soak the krill occasionally in selcon. I also feed them other fresh seafoods when available. They feed until satiated thern just drop to the floor whatever they were feeding on.

I would like to post a picture here. How do I do that?

Hi
at the bottom of the reply screen is a button beside a red written "Attach file" press browse there and select it from your PC then press submit reply.... it will upload in a few seconds, well depends how big the file is, most of mine are under 80kb

How big are the nautiluses? Diameter I suppose?

How deep in inches is the tank because i have heard that is the key factor to success?????????

The Nautilus are about the size of a ball between the size of a baseball and a softball.

The tank is 18 inches deep. I can see how a real shallow tank would not be good for them, but I don't think anything deeper is needed for get health, unless of course for when breeding time arrives.

Thankyou for telling me how to upload my picture.

Chambered Nautilus Shell

Chambered Nautilus Shell

Hi TNeal,

I have lots of information on the genus Nautilius and the different species and their characteristics. I also have several technical publication, some about the breeding habits. Let me know what you're interested in.

Also, I'd love to some pics of your Nautili. I'm assuming they are N. pompilius. I'll know exactly, as soon as I see a pic.

Can't wait to my live Nautilus- as soon as my tank is established.

Matt

I would love all of the information I can find on the Nautilus. And yes, they are Nautilus pom.

I find these animals extreamly intersting. I plan on setting up a breeding program for them.

Hey if you can rear them to adults you will have made quite a break through. I think the national aquarium of japan holds the record at 3 years.
On another note, you had told me you breed bluerings, do you know what species they were by any chance? H. lunulata ?
thanks
chris

I figured I would dig up an old thread instead of starting a new one.

DesertShell: If you still have that info you mentioned I would be interested.

TNeal: Sorry for your loss, I read about it in an old post.

I really think i would like to keep a Chambered Nautilus, I never had the tank space but I now have an empty 4ft x 18" x 18" tank sitting empty.
My LFS just got one in and it was calling to me
:)

I want to do alot more research, before I set the tank up and make the purchase. I will probably put him on hold for a few weeks while I do all of this.

Now my questions...........

1. Since they live in the depths and the water must be around 65, what is the proper salinity to keep the water at, since salinity changes with water temperature?
2. I am at a loss for filteration, I am assuming live rock is worthless because of the water temperature, but what about a deep sand bed?
3. What could I use to clean the sand bed of the "left overs" from feeding? Could an emerald crab live in 65 degree water temp?
4. I was going to use a very low wattage actinic light on the tank and thats it. Is this ok?
5. what is the life expectancy in captivity, the one I am looking at is about the diameter of a softball, maybe slightly bigger.

I will post more later, but my biggest thing I am concerned with is find a proven filteration set up.

Thanks
p.s. Sorry for the grammer, I was very sleepy while typing this.

One more question.............
Everytime I have ever seen a Chambered Nautilus, it has been hovering near the top of the water sitting very still.

Do these guys cruise around the tank at any time, and if so, it seems like they would bump into the glass quite often ?

I tried to keep a nautilus once, just like the one in the pic in this thread. Mine lived about three months before he died. Mine spent most of the time hovering near the surface of my 120, which is 2ft deep. He could dive, but it seemed to be a lot of effort and he seldom bothered to do it, unless he was after a piece of food on the bottom of the tank. I usually hand fed him, so that was seldom an issue.

My nautilus did spend a lot of time bumping into the glass, and sometimes we would hear him clunking into the sides and center brace of the tank at night (the tank is in our bedroom).

HTH. I can't help much with the other questions.

IMO these animals should be left in the ocean because we really cant provide the enviroment they need . Purchasing these and keeping them for a couple months before you kill them only creates a larger market for them . I also think it would be facinating to keep one , but why kill one for my satisfaction of a few months worth of pics .

Sorry to be the spoiler but why buy something you know you are going to kill .

Well Siddroww, I agree completely. We could never replicate their habitat .

I am trying to save this animal from the LFS, who I know will end up selling this guy to someone who is going to put it in thier Fish only tank with water temps at 82, bright *** lights and Nitrates off the chart. They sold a guy a 2ft nurse shark that they knew was going into a 55 gallon !!!! I know this because I overheard the guy telling the salesman where he was putting it. He said "this would be temporary, until he set up a larger tank"

There is not much info out there from people who have actually kept these animals, I did find some good research info though.

As long as they keep selling them they will keep getting them . You think your trying to save it but all your going to is just drag out its sure demise . Its up to us as responsible hobbiest's not to promote the market of animals that will surely die in captivity , the only way we can do this is to not give them a market for them . If they cant sell them they wont , its all pretty simple when you look at it .

I respect your intentions , however it will do nothing to prevent the sacrifice of these beautful creatures, but hey , you will have a real cool shell to show your friends for years to come .

The only solid info I have read on people trying to keep these was how long it took untill it died. I saw them for sale online and really thought about one , but then as I read and researched I decided not to be a part of it .

Sounding like a tree hugger I know , but this is how I feel .

Well Siddroww, I agree completely. We could never replicate their habitat .

I am trying to save this animal from the LFS, who I know will end up selling this guy to someone who is going to put it in thier Fish only tank with water temps at 82, bright *** lights and Nitrates off the chart. They sold a guy a 2ft nurse shark that they knew was going into a 55 gallon !!!! I know this because I overheard the guy telling the salesman where he was putting it. He said "this would be temporary, until he set up a larger tank"

There is not much info out there from people who have actually kept these animals, I did find some good research info though.

As long as they keep selling them they will keep getting them . You think your trying to save it but all your going to is just drag out its sure demise . Its up to us as responsible hobbiest's not to promote the market of animals that will surely die in captivity , the only way we can do this is to not give them a market for them . If they cant sell them they wont , its all pretty simple when you look at it .

I respect your intentions , however it will do nothing to prevent the sacrifice of these beautful creatures, but hey , you will have a real cool shell to show your friends for years to come .

The only solid info I have read on people trying to keep these was how long it took untill it died. I saw them for sale online and really thought about one , but then as I read and researched I decided not to be a part of it .

Jus thought I'd play the game

Back