Cheapest trigger to feed

Depends on what you feed them.
I used to feed fresh scallop, shrimp, and clam from the grocery store.......that adds up quick.
They do make a frozen trigger formula also, that's about $7 a tray.

It really depends on how big the trigger is too.

Steve

I used to feed an assortment of 5 triggers, with the biggest being around 12" and the smallest being about 5", I spent maybe $30 a month total on all fish combined.

You should be able to go to a seafood store, buy a small fish fillet, a quarter pound of scallops, some crab, any marine meat really, and process it at home (cut it up, freeze it, mix in garlic or selcon if you want) for under $30 for a lot of triggers. If I was only feeding one trigger, I'm sure I could have done it for under $10 a month. I would end up buying $40-$50 worth of food and just freezing it for months. I tried not to do that though because I like it to be fresh.

Anyway, I really dont think $30 to feed one fish is at all accurate.

I was told that was the min cost for clown and blueline triggers was 30 dollars each but that was from my LFS so wanted to know how much other triggers cost to feed. Is it good to get several types of seafood?Thanks

If you feed them what they eat in the wild, they will thrive and be in good health. A good mix of seafood will be best for them.....clams, shrimp, scallop, lobster, snails, crab......all the good expensive stuff.

A tray of frozen food has like 60+ cubes if I remember right.

Steve

I was told that was the min cost for clown and blueline triggers was 30 dollars each but that was from my LFS so wanted to know how much other triggers cost to feed. Is it good to get several types of seafood?Thanks
Very good. They dont eat a cube of mysis shrimp in the wild three times a day, they are constantly foraging and eating all kinds of inverts and smaller fish, whatever they can pretty much. I'd try to replicate that.

If you feed them what they eat in the wild, they will thrive and be in good health. A good mix of seafood will be best for them.....clams, shrimp, scallop, lobster, snails, crab......all the good expensive stuff.

A tray of frozen food has like 60+ cubes if I remember right.

Steve
And if they are quoting the original poster $30 a month for food, that could be what they mean. Buying the more expensive prepackaged stuff would get expensive fast.

Not only is it more expensive, but who wants to eat mysis for the rest of their life? Not me (if I was a fish still not me) I'd definitely want variety.

Also depending on where you live could affect the price. Mine get some squid, scallops, shrimp, and clams once a day. They also get a cube of mysis once a day. And a sheet of seaweed once a week. I get what ever is on sale at the time so I don't run out.

Some times local bait stores have fresh seafood for cheaper.

If you are on that tight of a budget......Perhaps you should consider smaller, less voracious fish?

I feed my 6" Picasso pieces of scallops, squid,Lobster,fish, and shrimp.It isn't very expensive by any means.I suppose the cost would get bigger as he got bigger.

I make my own reef blend that consists of : Scallops, shrimp, cod, squid, mussells, oysters, a tray of cyclopeez, few cloves of garlic (immune booster), Nori thats used to wrap sushi with, half a bottle of Selcon (fatty amino acids), and a bottle of pytoplankton. Buy yourself a dedicated blender for fish food making, or at least I did lol. Make sure you rinse all your seafood with RO/DI water first to get rid of presevatives. You can actually buy a seafood blend with most of the stuff already in it. It's used to make cerviche ( I think I spelled that right). It's around 4 bucks a bag here. Feeding you fish don't have to be exspensive. You pay for packaging, advertising, LFS markup, etc. Btw, my corals seem to love it too.

How much it costs to feed a fish for the month should not be your major concern with a saltwater system. You will likely encounter many things that will cost far more to keep your system going smoothly than fish food. You will go through lightbulbs,pumps,salt,ro water,filters etc..,food is just a small piece of it.

If you don a wet suit and a tank, I assure you human will be on the menu if you decide to make one mad.

If I don a wet suit, a tank and pick up a spear gun, I assure you trigger will be on the menu if they make me mad.

How much it costs to feed a fish for the month should not be your major concern with a saltwater system. You will likely encounter many things that will cost far more to keep your system going smoothly than fish food. You will go through lightbulbs,pumps,salt,ro water,filters etc..,food is just a small piece of it.

Yeah but you always have those costs and adding 10-30 a month is a lot more.

I just recently upgraded my food from getting stuff at my lfs, to getting frozen fish from my local grocery store since my fish are all huge and eat a whole lot. In a week I was feeding about 20 dollars of food, and I now only spend about 10 bucks a week!!!!!

Back