Choss' 96 Gallon Reef Savvy Tank Build

Its official - I have a fish tank

Its official - I have a fish tank

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1YAtboElrLA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yesterday I added the first resident to the Reef Savvy. This was a rescue clown fish that I found on the site Next Door. A family had him in a small tank with a bunch of other fish. I think he could be a Picasso Ocellaris but I'm not 100% sure. He's been living in my 40 gallon AIO tank but hasn't yet really bonded with my original Ocellaris Clown so I thought he could establish himself in the new tank as resident #1.

Here are a few more pictures

Clown by large island 2 by choerenz, on Flickr

clown by large island by choerenz, on Flickr

Clown front view by choerenz, on Flickr

Clown turning by choerenz, on Flickr

clown back turning by choerenz, on Flickr

Clown close up by choerenz, on Flickr

and one last closeup....:inlove:

Clown1 by choerenz, on Flickr

Great Model, all mine seem to run and hide everytime camera comes out. Another possiblty he could be a True Percula?

Great Model, all mine seem to run and hide everytime camera comes out. Another possiblty he could be a True Percula?

Yeah he was very cooperative. And yes, I think he is a Percula. I put his pic up for an ID and that is what came back. I wonder if he will be ok pairing with an Ocellaris? That is what I have planned but I can still change things up. I have several clown in various tanks so I have some options.

Pair Him up with an Ocellaris might work. I would just make sure there was a size difference? You think one of those designer ones? How about a Black Storm?

I received an ID on another forum yesterday, that I think is dead on. He's an onyx percula clown.

Yes Onyx would be the current name used these days...

Have you thought about his new partner yet? Getting a anemone for him? When will you start adding Coral

Update

Update

Here is a short video to show some nice progress for the tank. I hope you enjoy (watch 1080p).

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ewJt5aHBO8A" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Looking good congrats on getting the tank wet.

Thanks moondoggy. I will be adding a few more corals each week from my old tanks. Then once stable I will add some SPS. I have one small frag (purple Stylo) in there because it wasn't doing well in my frag tank. It's very pale right now but it looks like it may recover. We shall see..

How do you like using the 45 as return? Glued in or threaded?

It works well except that it does siphon more water than I'd like when I shut the pump down. They are not glued or threaded - simply stuck into the slip fitting of the bulkhead. But they are not noticeable in the tank and there is plenty of flow coming out of them. I have my DC return pump at 100% (Varios 6)

Did you drill a siphon break hole into pvc return? That would be my only come ncern with using the pvc 45 that locline can be bent up toward surface for less draw down

Did you drill a siphon break hole into pvc return? That would be my only come ncern with using the pvc 45 that locline can be bent up toward surface for less draw down

I have not drilled a hole yet. I'm not actually sure where I should drill. Any suggestions?

Back