Christmas tree worms and other inhabitants (pict. intensive)

Here is that xmas tree worm rock today.
kool153.jpg

And here is a close up of the returning porites, they are red with green centers.
kool154.jpg

I kept tank with Christmas tree worms in both condigurations: with refugium:
Dec23_0720L.jpg

Jan18_08fuge20Lb.jpg

Jan18_08fuge20Ld.jpg

and without one, like here, only without fuge:
Mar11_08lastfuge20L.jpg

Had no influence on survival of the worms or porites. But water should be kept reasonably clean - not plagued by red slime, dinoflagellates, bacterial growth, clogging the LR pores and providing feeding ground for nuisance algae:
Apr01_08beigeXmas.jpg

Apr10_08aftDSB.jpg

What influenced the survival (at least I believe that it did):
1. Few water changes with exposing worms to air. The worm, facing straight up, died. Maybe air was trapped inside the tube, can't say.
2. And another case, when two rocks were too close to each other, when one worm couldn't extend the crown to feed. I hadn't seen it dead, but tube is empty now.
3. Bristle worms are occupying the worms' tubes and tiny crab's hole.
4. Chemicals for eliminating aiptasia may kill worms, if come in direct contact with worms (flow into burrow).
And long-nosed predators, of course. As I had read, the biological means for keeping aiptasia in check, except, nudibranches, are potentially dangerous for feather dusters.

The oldest Christmas tree rock, brown, is a little more than 2 yrs old, lost 2 worms, as I described. Others 1.5 yrs and 1 yr old. Losses only in tank, plagued by bristle worms. What is interesting, they don't bother much young worms (1-2 mm, 1/16" diameter of tubes), only the big ones.

Jun24_08redXmasbw.jpg

Otherwise, frequent feeding variety of food, what seems to by suitable for the size of worm, seems to be enough for their survival (in my time frame, of course). My personal assumption is 50 microns for young ones, 120 mk for Indo-Pacific, low crowns variety, and 200 mk (um, whatever) for the largest adult Caribbean ones. Both zoo and phytoplankton.

I can't say about died porites and live worms - will the worms die or not. I bought one such rock, but maybe half of year ago, not too much time passed.

Another possibility is the refugium type of the tank, like this with sea apples:
Jun15_08satank.jpg

I would like to try this kind of tank for Christmas tree rocks too, but have no place for storing spare tanks with their stands.

Currently, for a month maybe, they are in shallow tank, because dropping them down every time during cleaning doesn't add health to the Xmas rocks:
Aug22_08underbed1.jpg

The simple sump with ASM Mini skimmer (same, as on the photo above) and LR is below. Now tank has much more corals in it.

Thank you guys for the update and for sharing some of the things you have learned along the way. This is good info for people that may consider keeping Christmas trees worms.

Are you using "Live Phyto" such as DT's or anything like that? And do you target feed these worms or just feed the whole system?

Dried food, and last months - frozen algae paste (Instant Algae TM) and live SS rotifers.
Keeping live food cultures takes time, space and salt. Phyto equipment, unlike rotifers, should be sterilized. Not an option for me. If even Melev's Reef had crashes of phyto culture, I most certainly will have.
But if I could afford it, I would. Live food have may have components, lost in process of preservation.
Don't forget Fauna Marin food, it can be blended in different recipes, targeting different organisms.

I put in a rock with porites and christmas tree worms about a year ago. Porites died a slow death in a cycled but new tank with PC lighting. The worms are still with me after all that.

If worms are able to live without porites - these are a really good news.

What wattage PC did you have? I put my first rock with porites in 2 months old tank, brown-greenish porites. Still alive and well.

Back