Clam Feeding: DT's vs. Marine Snow

Nuuance

Okay, what exactly are the two and the differences? Currently I feed the marine snow variety. I keep seeing everyone suggest DT's. So I want to learn more about it, and find out where to get it. I live in Jackson Hole and am about as far as you can get from any decent LFS, so I am relegated to a major trip or ordering online. I want to make sure I am doing the best I can for my clams. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh also, I know we can't commercialize this site, but if anyone knows where I can find some nice clams through online ordering (where you get to pick your clam!), please ICQ me at 14935855 or email jreiter@onewest.net.

If I'm not even supposed to ask in that manner (not soliciting for sale, but for user end purchase and by trying to keep it private, let me know).

Thanks

Dt's are a live algae culture, that closely resembles what food may be found on a reef. Great stuff, nothing bad to say about it.

Marine snow is a manmade, synthetic bottle of mostly water. Do a search on Marine Snow, but I have nothing good to say about it.

DT's is the choice for your clams for sure.

Best of luck, Rob

Thanks Rob, if I could trouble you or anyone else for a HUGE favor. I can't find DT's online. I live in the sticks where I can't just run down to the LFS. I am relegated to the web. Also, are golden pearls a substitute? I found those available on the web. If so, what size would be recommended.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff & Jeri

Last edited:
Marine Depot sells it online and so does Clamsdirect.com. ClamsDirect has the best price I have seen for the 15 oz. bottle of DT's which is what I usually buy. ;) I have never tried marine snow but I haven't found anyone who recommends it. My clams have done great with DT's but I've never tried anything else. HTH

Golden pearls are more of a coral, and copepod, amphipod type food. Sometimes the larger spheres can clog the gills of a clam. DT's is definately the best. Live food always is. Best of luck.

Barry does have a good price for the smaller bottles. Try to find a place that sells the larger concentrate size, you will get more spend less and save on shipping. Try hear at Premium Aquatics

Cya, Rob

I'm using marine snow because I got caught offgaurd and couldn't get DT's locally and it was too late to mailorder before the clam got here.
I wouldn't say marine snow is good, but I wouldn't say it's terrible either. My clam is doing fine with weekly targeted feedings, I'll be able to better compare once I get in some DT's (which is a PITA since it needs to be kept cold, it has to ship UPS 2day and can't go ground)

THANKS!

THANKS!

Thanks everyone for your responses and help finding DT's. I'm not kidding you. I searched on the web for about 3 hours last night to no avail.

So is it good to run DT's and Golden Pearls together for a reef tank with a little bit of everything, including clams? Or just DT's?

Before being educated by the memebers here on RC, my LFS convinced me to use marine snow. I saw little response to it. For the past few months my corals have taken off with GPs and my clams love DTs. Order online if need be.

This is the way to go. Good luck,
Mike :cool:

My clams love Dts! There maybe something better. I am in the middle of using a product called Liguidlife and so far so good!
Jim

I was just looking at the RC sponsors page yesterday and noticed a newer sponsor, East Coast Clams. They had pictures of the clams they had for sale. Check them out for buying clams online. You might also check the vendor experiences forum of RC for more info. I've never used it (I live in the Dallas area, so I can get just about anything locally), but it may be of help!

Back