clam questions

bsylv91

just bought a blue maxima clam about two to three inches. does anyone know the growth rate of maxima clams? also would a clam be damaged by fluctuating temperatures?. my tank currently goes from 82-86 every day :(.... i know thats terrible for the tank and stuff but im too cheap to buy a chiller and its only that uncontrolable for like 2-3 months a year during summer.

Buy a cheap fan and run it across the top of the water. That will help with the temperature fluctuations. Bu thtat is a pretty big variation-- even without the clam you should get it in line.

in a suitable environment, with stable / correct parameters a maxima will grow between 1" - 2" per year.

fluctuating / high temperatures cam be problem for clams, resulting in possible bleaching and a survival spawn that can have a negative impact on the whole tank. i would try a fan as DSR has suggested and try to get the tank stable.

i just upgraded to a bigger 46g bowfront and the temp problem seemed to be reduced by alot. it only goes up like 2 degrees a day now. i was doin the fan before on my smaller tank and it only look it down like 1 degree lol. but my lights are way OP for the tank i had before so thats why the temp swings were so radical. i have a 250watt MH with 2x 65watt actinics on.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15454011#post15454011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by a4twenty
high temperatures cam be problem for clams, resulting in possible bleaching and a survival spawn that can have a negative impact on the whole tank.
What does survival spawning do to the tank? I am just starting to look into clams and haven't come across spawning yet. Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15509807#post15509807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rhodes19
What does survival spawning do to the tank? I am just starting to look into clams and haven't come across spawning yet. Thanks.

sorry for the delay, summer is my busy season.

in a closed environment a spawn can seriously pollute your water. during a spawn sperm and eggs are released into the water, then ( usually within 24hrs ) they all die, causing a large spike in proteins and a rapid dcrease in available oxygen. some people with larger systems have had spawns with no problems but in smaller system with under powered skimmers there can be serious repercussions.

HTH

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15533358#post15533358 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by a4twenty
sorry for the delay, summer is my busy season.

in a closed environment a spawn can seriously pollute your water. during a spawn sperm and eggs are released into the water, then ( usually within 24hrs ) they all die, causing a large spike in proteins and a rapid dcrease in available oxygen. some people with larger systems have had spawns with no problems but in smaller system with under powered skimmers there can be serious repercussions.

HTH
Thanks! That makes sense. :)

Back