clam questions?

cowdust9

do you need super great water to have those great looking blue and green clams? i know they need alot of light but i dont have an ro/di unit up so just wondering?

Well, I wouldn't even run a reef tank if I wasn't using RODI water, especially here in Iowa with our awful nitrates. Sure, you could probably do it and things might be fine. Inverts are always more sensitive to water quality, imo, and I'd spend your money on bettering your water quality first, then once you have that under your belt, think about getting a pretty clam. It's not as fun to spend money on things like an RODI unit, but it may save you headaches down the road, such as algae issues from poor water quality or save the lives or prolong the lives of your tank inhabitants.

I agree... get that RO/DI going! I just had to purchase new filters for mine... I have noticed my water quality dropping and more algae than normal in my tank and checked the TDS and I guess I was over due for filters all back down to 0 now!! I imagine it will take some time to get the tank looking better.

I wouldnt recomend useing tap. Deresa get big hope its goin in 210 and 210g RR with sump, huge octo. no doubt w/out RO/DI??

You can have a clam with out ro/di I have one it is verry healthy and grows fast. I also have every kind of coral you can think of never had a problem. No dout it would improve your water but not at all needed.

Back