Clams And GFO

mynorrodas

Hello!
I have 3 clams in my tank, 1 derasa and 2 croceas since 3 or 4 years ago... I´ve used GFO for 2 years and stopped using that for 1 year. I´ve been having green algae problems on sand so I added gfo to my aquarium and now my phosphates has been in 0.02-0.05. 1 of my croceas is gaping and not very happy, i think he´s dying. Do you think that gfo would affect my other clams?
I´ve read before that gfo causes clam gaping.

i have heard anecdotally that GFO can cause issues for clams. i've been running GFO for years in my tanks with clams, and haven't had any issues (crocea and derasa).

i do use a filter sock on the outlet from my media reactor, to try to catch any fines.

it could be that it stripped the water too aggressively, and it will take some time for the clams to adjust.

i have heard anecdotally that GFO can cause issues for clams. i've been running GFO for years in my tanks with clams, and haven't had any issues (crocea and derasa).

i do use a filter sock on the outlet from my media reactor, to try to catch any fines.

it could be that it stripped the water too aggressively, and it will take some time for the clams to adjust.

Thanks!! One of my clams died... But the others are fine I think it is that they need time to adjust to the new water parameters.

Back