Cleaning acrylic tank after buffing?????

lluv24

Hey y'all , I'm almost done buffing my new 180. What should I use to clean it with to make sure the chemical in the buffing compound is gone and safe for my fish and corals????

Hi there i know a few people who have used white vinegar to clean tanks, removing solvents and built up algae, but not sure on if this can be used on acrylic but dont see why not, afterwards i'd get some sterilising tablets, like the stuff used for babies bottles etc, give your tank a good wash round with this then thoroughly rinse with tap water, then being me id go another thorough rinse with ro water.
Hope this helps.

I've heard that alcohol is bad for acrylic tanks!!!!! Idk. I'm leaning on the vinager solution. But I'm not 100% on that.

Hi again been chatting with a fellow reefer of mine and asked him about cleaning acrylic, he said to use vinegar and mix it 50:50 with water to clean, as putting it on neat can craze the acrylic. He has done a few acrylic tanks this way with no problems.
If you are a bit apprehensive you could always do a weaker dilution.

I just used water and an acrylic safe algae pad. A few good rinses and I had no issues. I do use a water vinegar mix to clean the outside though.

Back