Cleaning filter socks?

Well has to be a better way. This sock was already machine washed bleach and 2 extra rinses. I decided to swash it in so Rodi before adding it to tank tonight. It was white as can be before this test.
Before
IMG_20121214_202459.jpg

During
IMG_20121214_202257.jpg

After
IMG_20121214_202357.jpg

Now I now lots of people saying how they don't like to put there hands in the tank because of oils and so on but I just can't believe there this junk doesn't hurt the tank.

Roger

Change mine approx every 3rd day.Turn them inside out,get out all the copepods out that I see,then throw them in the washing machine with some vinegar and bleach.

Change mine approx every 3rd day.Turn them inside out,get out all the copepods out that I see,then throw them in the washing machine with some vinegar and bleach.

That's basically what I do. That's what I'm says that doesn't clean them very well :(

Roger

Well I just soaked mine in peroxide for a bit then washed them in the washer and ran rinse cycle twice...I'm going to do the same thing you did roger and see what I get! Stand by......

Well I just soaked mine in peroxide for a bit then washed them in the washer and ran rinse cycle twice...I'm going to do the same thing you did roger and see what I get! Stand by......

Looking forward to results cause that's what I was going to try next. I have 30 plus filter socks so that will be a bi*,h to do but if it works

This is a great hobby, but do not understand why hobbyist would want to increase or further complicate husbandry tasks. I used to run sponges and filter socks years ago, and have learned the benefits of the sump and cryptic zones. The sump is a filter and will collect the detritus where it can be vacuumed on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. In addition, a properly sized skimmer will greatly assist in cleaning the sump. The key is to have high turbulent flow in the display while turning over the tank volume 3 - 5 times per hour.

Think of the sump as a filter.

This is a great hobby, but do not understand why hobbyist would want to increase or further complicate husbandry tasks. I used to run sponges and filter socks years ago, and have learned the benefits of the sump and cryptic zones. The sump is a filter and will collect the detritus where it can be vacuumed on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. In addition, a properly sized skimmer will greatly assist in cleaning the sump. The key is to have high turbulent flow in the display while turning over the tank volume 3 - 5 times per hour.

Think of the sump as a filter.

I can totally see where you are coming from but I think the way you run your tank is a personal preference. Things that work for one persons set up may not work for someone else. I am new to the whole sump and filter sock thing but I ran my tank without a sock for 2 weeks then with one for the past week and my water is a lot more clear this week. I agree that the sump is a large filter but it seems to me that the smaller materials that are in your water would remain in your water column unless removed by a filter sock. I am sure that running without them works but for me I'm sticking with running them. Anything that helps me remove unwanted debris is a plus.

Roger I didn't get a chance to do the test yet but once I gett off work I'll update what I find with pics...

I soaked my socks in peroxide for around 20 minutes then I washed them in the washer once and ran the rinse cycle twice. The socks came out perfectly white so I then air dried them. After they were dry I put 1 of them in a bowl of clean RO water and there was very little debris that came out in the water. I think I am going to continue this method and stay away from the bleach. I appreciate all the input!

Looks like Roger is going to want to wash his socks at your place instead of using his fancy high efficiency (HE) washer.

I soaked my socks in peroxide for around 20 minutes then I washed them in the washer once and ran the rinse cycle twice. The socks came out perfectly white so I then air dried them. After they were dry I put 1 of them in a bowl of clean RO water and there was very little debris that came out in the water. I think I am going to continue this method and stay away from the bleach. I appreciate all the input!

How much peroxide did u use with how many socks? And r they the 16 in sock of the small ones?

Sorry to resurrect this - but has anyone found a local source of Hydrogen peroxide (bulk and/or 27%) or tried an alternative oxidizer for cleaning filter socks? There's many "dead-ends" in this thread - where someone says they have a link or it worked but no explanation.

I've looked in hardware stores for 27% peroxide, pool stores (pinch a penny), spa stores.

Ive got about 6 quarts of the 3% from CVS / Publix.

I have always run filter socks. 25 micron to be exact. I change daily on all my tanks just as a matter of daily maintenance.

Cleaning..... man I have done it all, peroxide (best), vinegar, bleach, clear water rinse... you name it. Peroxide is the best, especially if you look at under a microscope. It actually breaks it down .... but expensive and a pain to find in bulk.

So, I have succumb to the washing machine.... vinegar wash, bleach cycle, on "whites" cycle (hot, hot , hot). I then run on a quick wash with nothing in the machine (no vinegar or bleach) and hot, hot.

Sun dry and use. Been using this method for a few years. Freshly washed socks still make my skimmer crazy for about 30 minutes so I just shut skimmer off for 30 min (controller delay).

Not as good as peroxide, but it was a pain. The 25 micron socks still are great in fine particulate capture and have been good to me.

As the official sock washer around here, I turn them inside out and I spray out the really bad ones with the garden hose(or I toss them in the bottom of the bucket for next times) and then I put them in my front load washer and wash them on regular with no detergent but I do use hydrogen peroxide "natural" bleach. i have taken them to the laundermat but jeez, that is not cheap. Then I hang them on my drying rack either outside or inside to dry.

UOTE=Ted_C;23577278]

I've looked in hardware stores for 27% peroxide, pool stores (pinch a penny), spa stores.

Ive got about 6 quarts of the 3% from CVS / Publix.[/QUOTE]

Ted, you can buy 35% food grade at health and vitamin stores. There is a place in Passadena called Health plus and herbs or something like that and they carry it. I have also heard you can use #40 developer (for dying hair) you can get it at Sallys beauty supply. It's 12% hydrogen peroxide, phosphoric acid, and H20. I haven't personally tried it but my buddy swears by it and it's cheap. Link below....

http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=SLNCAR67

and then I put them in my front load washer and wash them on regular with no detergent but I do use hydrogen peroxide "natural" bleach.

Hey Mrs Postal - can you elaborate on this? What is it? where do you get it?

Ted, you can buy 35% food grade at health and vitamin stores. There is a place in Passadena called Health plus and herbs or something like that and they carry it. I have also heard you can use #40 developer (for dying hair) you can get it at Sallys beauty supply. It's 12% hydrogen peroxide, phosphoric acid, and H20. I haven't personally tried it but my buddy swears by it and it's cheap. Link below....

Thanks Tony! I'll feel a bit umm "weird" walking into beauty stores - but so be it. I'll give it a shot. Do they have that stuff by the gallon per chance or are we all buying quarts or pints?

Now this explains a lot. I have been using the regular Publix 3% peroxide with little difference from just plain water. I think I need to get the stronger stuff for my socks. I'll check who sells this stuff around my area. Thank you all for the clarification. Good thread.

Whats your opinion on Filter Socks vs Bio Balls. I run filter socks but have been contemplating moving to the BB method in my sump. Any disadvantages?

Lots of disadvantages from what I've read. Bioballs are nitrate factories. Bioballs do nothing to filter out detritus or floating particles.

I don't think bio balls and filter socks are in the same category. Socks are meant as mechanical whereas bioballs are meant to work as bio media.

Back