cloudy eye sopa puffer

JimmysMom

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=226298&stc=1&d=1365010561

Can anyone lend any more advice on what to try to clear up his eye?? He looks like he has slime patches under his belly also. Only one eye is Completely cloudy.

I have tried: Prozipro, and bactershield. As well as a fresh water dip

Puffer is eating claims only refusing all other meals (he is a good 8 inches long)

salinity 1.024
Phosp, Nitrate, nitrites, and amonia are all 0
PH 8.10
calcium is 440
dkh is crazy high at about 18

I have a few softies
sponges
2 triggers
yellow headed moray
7 fire fish
rainbow wrase
4 inch red angler

125 gallon

150 lbs live rock

fx5

reef octopus skimmer

2 uv sterilzers (both off from treating)

Thanks!!

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
Is it just in one eye or both? Your alk is "crazy high"; not sure if it could have anything to do with this or not. :hmm2:

just one eye....
just figured out my eight-four is boosting alk
doing a 50% water change in an hour and getting plain balance to up the ph when needed...
still pretty sure I need to do something about the cloudy eye

As a (rough) general rule, one cloudy eye usually denotes injury; both eyes means disease (bacterial infection). Does the eye look swollen at all or "popped" out?

no not at all I did a huge water change last night and he let me rub his belly and nose down
so now he just is hanging with the cloudy eye....

no not at all I did a huge water change last night and he let me rub his belly and nose down
so now he just is hanging with the cloudy eye....

If the eye gets swollen, you can dose epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gals) to help relieve the swelling. Your only other option would be to QT and see if he responds to antibiotics. In the meantime, I would step up your WCs and start soaking his food in vitamin supplements. See if his natural immune system is able to fight this off on it's own.

Generally, don't touch the puffer. They have a natural slim coat. The slim coat is imperative to their health.

Back