Cloudy water

JVan82

Need some help never encountered this issue before. I have had my IM lagoon 50 set up since mid Nov. Water has continued to be cloudy, in the last few weeks. I have a sicce 2.0 return pump, 2 MP10s, XR15 gen 4 pro. I started curing/cycling the rocks starting last sept, roughly 25 lbs rocks, and 40 pounds sand, used the clarifying packs that are in the sand. Even cycled tank once rock and sand was added. I have ran the 11oz chemipure blue, changed every month. Run intank media rack and floss holder, holding poly-fill changed daily. I have 3 of the marinepure blocks (not marinepure cant remember the brand name) and were soaked in microbactor7 over night as stated in the directions. Have done 4 gallon weekly water changes, since cycle was completed. (36 gal total volume) Last sunday did 8 gallons. I have always used redsea coral pro salt. (Also have a IM lagoon 25 same salt, water and water change schedule) parameters and pic below.

Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 410
Magnesium 1400
Kh 9.0
Ph 7.7-7.9
All tests are redsea and ph is from apex probe
bd94c44894eb0b9e7ea7711b39974801.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

well I had something similar I can't tell for sure but mine was a white looking cloud and it would come and go. usually started happening when I would add a fish, but as far as I could tell I didn't get a ammonia spike either. I thought it was a bacteria bloom. I'm not sure if this is what your getting or not. I have seen similar issue with that white sand leaching a lot of cloudy stuff when it is new. Wish I could help more it was what made me give up on my last tank. :(

well I had something similar I can't tell for sure but mine was a white looking cloud and it would come and go. usually started happening when I would add a fish, but as far as I could tell I didn't get a ammonia spike either. I thought it was a bacteria bloom. I'm not sure if this is what your getting or not. I have seen similar issue with that white sand leaching a lot of cloudy stuff when it is new. Wish I could help more it was what made me give up on my last tank. :(
Yes it comes and goes lately just stays, its a white cloud, never had this before, my biocube had white sand as does the tank I have my baby clowns in.
Every water change I clean sand, as it's still a new tank going through its ugly stage. Havent added any fish except the 3 (2 clowns 1 royal gramma) that have been in it since after it was cycled.

Yeah someone on my thread said to maybe stop feeding for a week or two. Did you try something like that already? I not sure if it would be too long to stop feeding fish or not. Wish I knew for sure what causes this sort of thing. Do your fish seem like they have hard time breathing when it happens? That is what happened to mine.

Ty

Are you running a protein skimmer? If not, that is very important when curing rocks. That said, it’s likely a bacterial bloom. A UV sterilizer will clean that up in a matter of days but in the absence of that, time, carbon, water changes and heavy skimming are your best bet.

Are you running a protein skimmer? If not, that is very important when curing rocks. That said, it's likely a bacterial bloom. A UV sterilizer will clean that up in a matter of days but in the absence of that, time, carbon, water changes and heavy skimming are your best bet.
No skimmer as of now, guess that'll be my next purchase in the mean time it'll be time and 20% water changes, thanks for the info

Yeah someone on my thread said to maybe stop feeding for a week or two. Did you try something like that already? I not sure if it would be too long to stop feeding fish or not. Wish I knew for sure what causes this sort of thing. Do your fish seem like they have hard time breathing when it happens? That is what happened to mine.

Ty
Nope everything seems normal, just cloudy water, I've have always fed less than I use to as I had a horrible GHA issue in my BC32, that the fish were in...

Are you running a protein skimmer? If not, that is very important when curing rocks. That said, it's likely a bacterial bloom. A UV sterilizer will clean that up in a matter of days but in the absence of that, time, carbon, water changes and heavy skimming are your best bet.

Hmm.. I got a UV sterilizer, carbon, and I had a skimmer running like crazy and I would still get a death bosom cloud. I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I'm sort of afraid my tank setup has a design flaw or something. Maybe I didn't have enough water flow through my carbon canister?? just not changing out enough water?? Shrug..

But yeah if you don't have a skimmer I would highly recommend one too. Probably should get carbon canister if you don't have it also.

Hmm.. I got a UV sterilizer, carbon, and I had a skimmer running like crazy and I would still get a death bosom cloud. I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I'm sort of afraid my tank setup has a design flaw or something. Maybe I didn't have enough water flow through my carbon canister?? just not changing out enough water?? Shrug..

But yeah if you don't have a skimmer I would highly recommend one too. Probably should get carbon canister if you don't have it also.
I'm using chemipure blue, plan a reactor and skimmer in the future, just odd to have this happen when it's never happened before... shrug is an understatement at this point.

If it’s a bacterial bloom and you have a UV sterilizer, then you don’t have a good quality UV or it’s not setup properly. A quality UV such as an AquaUV or Emperor will eliminate and or prevent a bacterial bloom 100% of the time if they are properly sized and properly setup. Cheap Chinese ones or gimmick ones like the twist on the otherhand are not going to have the same impact and are pretty much a waste of money with exception to some minor impact in clarification. In nearly 30 years of running quality UV’s on my systems, I’ve never had a bacterial bloom let alone cloudy water.

Interesting... I did get a cheap UV clarifier at petco I think. So maybe that wasn't doing anything to help much. I have to look at getting a better one if I decide to try again.

I'm curious how old is this tank by the way? is it been established for a while?
Was started last November, the rocks were cured/cycled a month prior, and I also cycled the tank after it was set up, only added the 3 fish from my BC32 in it, they're the only fish in it.
I don't have a skimmer or uv sterilize on any tanks.

I would at least get a skimmer soon. Looking at your picture it doesn't look as bad as my tank was.

I was looking at the professional UV sterilizers and man are the big things. I not sure if I can get one of those into my sump area. :(

It's just murky... yeah time for some research on skimmers.
67a50c0915178e078ebd923d59c79d0e.jpg

Back