Clownfish and LFS Copper

jonlovisolo

I recently found out that my LFS keeps all of their fish in copper full time before sale. Not just for treatment, but there is copper 100% of the time in their fish system.

Is it possible that after I take a clownfish home, and set it free in a tank with normal parameters, but no copper, the fish goes through withdrawals or something?

Is this normal for LFS to keep all fish in copper?

Yes it is normal. I have one down from me that keeps fish in Cu and inverts in regular. NO mixing of water there at all.

It will not have withdrawals. Just do NOT pour any of that water in your tank.

Thank you for the response. I'm having trouble getting my new clown in QT to eat, and am trying to figure out differences between the LFS and home. That's one thing I came up with.

Yes it is normal. I have one down from me that keeps fish in Cu and inverts in regular. NO mixing of water there at all.

It will not have withdrawals. Just do NOT pour any of that water in your tank.

:thumbsup:

I always toss LFS water down the drain, it's a good habit to get into... never know what's in it, better safe than sorry.

How long have you had the clown? It may just be stress related and could take a few days to see a feeding response.

I've had her since Sunday. It's probably stress related, no doubt. I was thinking maybe the lack of copper was a significant enough change to cause the stress.

She's been chasing her reflection around the sides, so I covered the sides with paper towels, and now she's cruising around the perimeter. At night she sleeps in the various PVC pipes I have in there, but I'm going to try some clay pots when I get home. It's obvious something is stressing her out, I'm going to run a full suite of tests when I get home tonight.

It's only a 10g tank, and only for QT, might that be to small for her for now?

Back