Clownfish Eggs

Ted_C

Yea! The little guys finally laid eggs where I could get a decent pic! It's quite a large clutch this time too.

2016_04_28_Clown_Eggs_1.jpg

2016_04_28_Clown_Eggs_2.jpg

2016_04_28_Clown_Eggs_3.jpg

Im not looking to raise them or anything. They should be hatching in 6 or 7 days most likely

well I believe if they are laying eggs the enviroment is pretty darn good. Nice job sir. I have a pair for years, no eggs to my knowledge.

Thanks Oblio! This is their second brood (at least). They layed around this time last month too.

Thanks Oblio! This is their second brood (at least). They layed around this time last month too.

Hey Ted. Can you post a pic of the tank that you have them in?

I was wondering if there was a way I could increase the chances of mine laying in my big tank.

Heh - sure. It's plagued with Brown slime algae (doesn't really show up in a smaller pic). I'm working on cutting up some 3/8" acrylic to replace the egg-crate and pvc in there. I've siphoned off most of the sand that I had in there (suspected it was trapping detritus despite the massive flow I have going through it).

Two Ceramic Biomedia blocks are in the display.

I feed 1/2 block PE Mysis w/ a small chunk of LRS Fish Frenzy around 9 AM, EHEIM Autofeed w/ Dainichi Baby Sinking Pellets at noon, /2 block PE Mysis w/ a small chunk of LRS Fish Frenzy around 6 PM.

Turnover to the sump is probably around 5-6,000 GPH. Turnover via the MaxSpect Gyre is probably around 11,000 GPH.

2016_04_28_FTS.jpg

Heh - sure. It's plagued with Brown slime algae (doesn't really show up in a smaller pic). I'm working on cutting up some 3/8" acrylic to replace the egg-crate and pvc in there. I've siphoned off most of the sand that I had in there (suspected it was trapping detritus despite the massive flow I have going through it).

Two Ceramic Biomedia blocks are in the display.

I feed 1/2 block PE Mysis w/ a small chunk of LRS Fish Frenzy around 9 AM, EHEIM Autofeed w/ Dainichi Baby Sinking Pellets at noon, /2 block PE Mysis w/ a small chunk of LRS Fish Frenzy around 6 PM.

Turnover to the sump is probably around 5-6,000 GPH. Turnover via the MaxSpect Gyre is probably around 11,000 GPH.

2016_04_28_FTS.jpg

Feed, feed, feed, and feed them some more.

Thanks for the pic Ted_C! So I see that this tank isn't reef and that's what I was wondering.

Is it possible to have them lay in the big tank and somehow collect and the little ones at some point?

And Postal... With feeding? Being that I'm thinking about doing it in the reef tank, I'm guessing you wouldn't want to over feed for the chance of laying eggs which will probably be eaten by the time I get home? Lol...

ReefWhatYouSow said:
Thanks for the pic Ted_C! So I see that this tank isn't reef and that's what I was wondering.

Is it possible to have them lay in the big tank and somehow collect and the little ones at some point?

And Postal... With feeding? Being that I'm thinking about doing it in the reef tank, I'm guessing you wouldn't want to over feed for the chance of laying eggs which will probably be eaten by the time I get home? Lol...

Almost all serious breeders keep their spawning pairs in setups specifically for breeding. The advantage being you can feed heavily without worrying as much about the impact on corals, keep it bare bottom for cleaning, and provide removable tiles or pots for the clown to lay on.

That being said, I have had multiple pairs spawn in full reef tanks without issue (but no bigger than a 40 breeder). It can definitely be done, but I also constantly battle keeping my nitrates low enough for my anemones. The clowns/anemone will protect the eggs from most everything. If you can get them to spawn on a tile that you can remove on hatch night you will be a lot better off. If not, be prepared for a late night as you have to stay up to skim the larvae off the water surface on hatch night.

Almost all serious breeders keep their spawning pairs in setups specifically for breeding. The advantage being you can feed heavily without worrying as much about the impact on corals, keep it bare bottom for cleaning, and provide removable tiles or pots for the clown to lay on.

That being said, I have had multiple pairs spawn in full reef tanks without issue (but no bigger than a 40 breeder). It can definitely be done, but I also constantly battle keeping my nitrates low enough for my anemones. The clowns/anemone will protect the eggs from most everything. If you can get them to spawn on a tile that you can remove on hatch night you will be a lot better off. If not, be prepared for a late night as you have to stay up to skim the larvae off the water surface on hatch night.

I appreciate the info. While I'm not in a position to do a setup specifically for breeding it would be fun if they start to in the tank. I can at least try to make it comfortable enough for them there and see what happens!

Tampa has such a great reefing community that I'm lucky to be part of!

Back