Clownfish Fry Survival Rate

Hard to answer this one. Typical nests are too hard to count, even harder to count after they hatch.

Mimic, why do you think that current breeders would say greater than 100%? How can you imagine that as a possibility?

There are always deaths. You have to kill a lot of fish to do this job.

Clutch Hatch Rate

Clutch Hatch Rate

Let me rephrase, what percentage of the laid clutch actually hatched. I have one pair of onyx percs that lays of clutch of about 250-300 eggs, but by day 5 there are only about 20%-30% of the eggs left. With my b/w ocellaris, over half end up hatching. I don't know if the perc male isn't doing a good job of aerating, if he is getting tired of her bullying, or if that is an average hatch rate for perc. Thanks!

As far as I can tell there is no standard, too many varaibles and individual pairs differ greatly. Some are just crappy tenders, others are excellent. Some take years of practice and others are great from the start (exception IMO). How long have those percs been spawning?, if it's their first year I wouldn't worry. If it's been like this for 3-4 years consistently I'd say they are just duds. You are better off with the B&W's anyway :D

LOL Kathy55g, hope Mimic was saying 100 babies ! :D

BristlewormKing, what are you feeding them ?
Anderson.

Re: Clutch Hatch Rate

Re: Clutch Hatch Rate

Is the clutch suddenly down to 20-30 % on day 5 or is at gradual removal over the 5 days?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8101982#post8101982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BristlewormKing
With my b/w ocellaris, over half end up hatching.

This seems low. You may want to consider the diet or water conditions or both.

Something to consider.
You may want to try to pull the clutch before day five to see what happens for a couple of reasons.

1. If they male is not caring for them properly, you might be able to do a better job.

2. In warmer water in the 81-86 range I have pulled clutches of ocellaris on the night of day 5 to have a partial hatch that night. Then the rest have hatched over the next 2 to 3 nights with very minimal die off.

Even with the water in the 78-80 range I still have hatches over 2 nights starting on the night of day 7 with about 10 -20% and the rest following night.

I typically lose about 5% of the clutch from day one to hatch time. Maybe less, its hard to tell.

Hard to answer this one. Typical nests are too hard to count, even harder to count after they hatch.

Kathy have you given up on the counting?? With the big numbers you had :eek2: I could understand why

I just meant that it is hard to know how many eggs are laid, how many hatch, and how many larvae you get, much less how many fish survive, until you sell them 4 months later! % success? Depends on what you are counting and if you can.

When mine were laying regularly, all the eggs that were there on day 9 hatched that evening--none left 1 hour after dark. I have ocellaris.

In the mornings they get New Life Spectrum. In the evenings (when I have more time) they get either Rod's Food or Cyclopeeze (I rotate each night).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8103082#post8103082 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aomont
BristlewormKing, what are you feeding them ?
Anderson.

Re: Re: Clutch Hatch Rate

Re: Re: Clutch Hatch Rate

It is gradual. They have been laying the clutches mid-afternoon for the last two years. I can usually see the attachment sites for about 10 eggs that are missing the next morning. The disappearances really start to speed up on the mornings of days 4 and 5. There doesn't appear to be any particular spot within the clutch to indicate an overall aeration problem, etc., and I don't notice any white or pale eggs when I go to bed at night. Standard water parameters are zero and the temperature is constant at 76F. Probably just duds!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8103287#post8103287 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lance one
Is the clutch suddenly down to 20-30 % on day 5 or is at gradual removal over the 5 days?

There doesn't appear to be any particular spot within the clutch to indicate an overall aeration problem

Does this mean you are aerating while the parents are still caring for the clutch?

That tank temp is a little cold for me. Have you tried bumping the tank to the 80-82 range?

No, I meant that the male must be aerating (fanning) the whole area. I will try slowly adjusting the temp up for the clutch she should lay Monday. It seems OK for all the others, but maybe percs like it a little warmer. Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8104850#post8104850 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lance one
Does this mean you are aerating while the parents are still caring for the clutch?

That tank temp is a little cold for me. Have you tried bumping the tank to the 80-82 range?

Back