clownfish in 1 gallon, to be or not to be

Hens4Fish

Any thoughts on putting one clownfish with minimal liverock in a 1 gallon tank? It would be the only fish in there, maybe some crabs and small inverts. Anyone try this and succeed or fail?
Thanks,
Bill

Yeah, the temps wouldnt be a problem, but the salinity might be a problem.

Isnt any aquarium like a jail cell?

"Jail-cell", to me, whether a terrestrial animal exhibit or aquatic, would apply to anything smaller than the animal needs to establish a territory and carry out it's natural biological functions...so it would be a different size for each different species. I would consider 1 gal for a clown fish way to small.

No. How would you feel if you are forced to stay in your closet for the rest of your life? That's what a 1 gallon tank would be to any single fish.

Probably the same if you forced me to stay in my bedroom for the rest of my life. If you look at it that way, all fish are forced into a prison style life when we rip them from the ocean and put them in a glass cage. I was just asking if anyone had done it. Thanks for the response.

Good Lord....

Here's the deal: even after the fact you inquired, you're gonna do it regardless what anyone advised. Your tank, your money, do what you want.

If you ask me, it is just inhumane. Yes, we do take amazing animals from the oceans and put them in "glass cages", but at least most aquarists try to provide the best environment possible they can and try to make them as comfortable as possible. Putting a clownfish in less than 1 gallon of water is not going to make a clownfish comfortable, you may as well as keep him in the bag.

The Lord is good, all the time.

I actually am not going to do this. Just wanted to point out the obvious. Thanks for the response.
Oh, and some breeding clowns territories consist of a medium sized ceramic pot, smaller than a gallon.
I do agree wih spz though, just too much of temp/salinity swings to be successful.

Not only the temp and salinity swings but its not fair to shove a 3 inch fish into a milk container

Oh, its not a milk container. I should have specified. Its a small tank that we already have at the office. Plus a milk container would be hard to see through.

Nah its too small, just not enough moving room. I had a pair in my 10 gallon, and id say 1 in a 10 gallon would/should be the minimum.

Back