Clownfish Showing Signs of Mating?

af4evr13

Hello, I am noticing what appears to be my Clownfish mating. I have never noticed the weird behavior the male is showing and from what I have read he is doing some sort of courting. I am not remotely close to be able to handle baby clownfish if this continues to progress. I have a 90 gallon reef tank with a very large anemone that the two clowns love. I have a tomi tang, a trigger, a coral beauty, a goby and a damsel. I would suspect the trigger and the damsel will probably eat a majority of the babies when they hatch. I would like to attempt to raise some of the babies if possible. Is there something I can do to separate the babies inside the tank? I understand I will have to have copepods and eventually live brine fish as well. Would love to hear more on how and if I can make this work?

There is a chance it is exhibiting normal clownfish behavior; a mated pair do all sorts of "happy dances" and squabbling, which means you likely have healthy fish. I wouldn't worry much about reproduction. If they do get to the egg-laying stage (look under/near the anemone for the eggs) any that hatch will quickly be devoured by other tank inhabitants as you've noted. There are lots of various netted and plastic in-tank enclosures you can separate them into, assuming you can catch them, not to mention setting up another small tank for them.

Again, I'd say there's a tiny chance you'll see hatchlings.

Here are a group of threads on the subject. Good luck!

forums.reefcentral.com/search/51818/?page=10&q=raising+clownfish+fry&o=relevance

Thank you for the information and the article. They have burrowed a hold under the Anemone...I don't see eggs yet but seems as if they are doing something. I might try to get some internal tank like you mentioned.

Back