Collecting specimen.

KatanaRamirez

I don't have a system up and running but am planning on starting one soon and was wondering what peoples opinions were on collecting specimen yourself. One of the reasons I'm bringing it up is I live close to the beach and often go walking along the shore, on one of my walks there was a heap os seaweed washed up on the beach (this happens with a fair amount of regularity) and I decided to take a closer look at some of it and noticed lots of creatures still clinging to the roots (brittle stars etc..). The seaweed washed up is destined to dry up and die, as it always does when it gets washed up and so are the hangers on so would it be wrong of me to take the time to take these critters home for quarantine and later release in my tank or do I just keep walking and let nature take it's course. Opinions?

Check with your area's laws first. Some places require permits to collect out of the water. For the most part though I think once something is on the beach it's ok to collect, sea gulls are just going to pick through the seaweed and eat anything in it anyway. Just make sure you quarantine them first, theres alot of stuff in the ocean you don't want to wind up in your tank.

I agree that you need to check the local laws. Often the rules are vauge so make sure you speak directly with a local officer who can answer any questions you might have.

As for seeking others opinions about collecting,

Only you can decide for yourself if the activities you are engaging in are acceptable or not. Looking for the direction of someone else to help guide your decision is fine, but do not allow anyone else to make the decision for you just because they have a strong opinion one way or the other.

Carefully consider the reality of what you plan to do.

You already know your answer.

I'm not sure where you live, but in Florida, all you need is a Fishing License, but you can look up all your local laws online. Normally if you see something on the beach it's there because it got pushed there. Tore from the bottom or reef where it had itself planted. many times after a storm or strong winds and waves you will see things wash up on the beach.
I don't see a problem with it, as long as you do it responsibly.

If you live in florida, many species are collected that AREN'T considered tropical but sub-tropical, like turbo snails, astrea snails and the like. I would just alter your tanks temp. It can be hard too to determine what you are collecting as far as "reef safe" goes.

I don't see anything wrong with collecting as long as you follow the laws of your state. Especially if it is livestock that is laying on a beach waiting to die anyway. I travel to Florida regularly and have collected a few things while snorkelling and diving. Several years ago I used to collect Ricordia down there. We were limited to 2 polyps per person per day. I don't know what it is now...

Quarentine them for at least 3 months, maybe 6. It only takes one nasty little critter to cripple a tank.
I know 3 to 6 months is a long time and I'm probably being over cautious, but I've had Cirolanid Isopods.

There's no need to take any more precautions than when you introduce animals from the LFS. After all, most of the animals at the store were collected from the wild too. They just went through a lot more stress and were mixed in with other animals with all sorts of diseases and parasites from all over the world.

Back