coloring questions

nate150dd

my sps seem to slightly losing color. Some of them just look a little pale. Any ideas

Tank Specs.
150 cube
ATI 8 bulb
2 aquablue special
5 b+
1 Purple +
vertex alpha cone 250
mp40s
small amount of activated carbon
SG 1.026
temp 80-80.5
ALk 8-8.2
Calcium 400-450
Mag 1500-1600
Po4 .01-0.00 Martini Lab Grade
Nitrate 0
7 fish(2 tangs,2 clowns, 2 Wrasse, 1 Hawkfish)

Any Ideas?

based on your zero nitrates and possibly 0 phosphates I'd say they need some nutrients. You could try feeding more or feeding the corals. I started using red sea reef energy part A/B and could see a difference after about 2 weeks. I also have stuff growing on the glass and sand faster than before but my corals are coming back from the brink of death so I'll put up with it for a while. I also have a tiny, tiny cuc.

thanks for your reply, I was thinking of trying pohls xtra, I also was thinking about adding a small cuc. Currently have none. I just hate crabs and snails roosting/pooping in sps

Do you have aragonite sand? How old is your tank? Do you use any gfo, vinegar, pellets, sugar? Do you feed more pellets, frozen, or what?

I have a small dusting of sand that is slowly being removed so I can go barebottom. I started feeding much heavier, both Mysis and pellets(elos). I dose nothing besides 2 part(brs) and mag. water changes are 15 gallons a week religiously. tank is 6 months old. bulbs are 3 months old.

I would second this suggestion, provided you have a good nutrient extraction methodology ( w/c, GFO, etc.)

I have been using (Reef Energy A and B) about four weeks and growth and color have never been better.

Sincerely,

David

based on your zero nitrates and possibly 0 phosphates I'd say they need some nutrients. You could try feeding more or feeding the corals. I started using red sea reef energy part A/B and could see a difference after about 2 weeks. I also have stuff growing on the glass and sand faster than before but my corals are coming back from the brink of death so I'll put up with it for a while. I also have a tiny, tiny cuc.

Last edited:
I think that it is nutrients, but I would not increase the feedings. Your tank is new and is still finishing the N cycle. The bacteria to consume the nitrate probably just recently started to come on board and they quickly gobbled up both the N and P and now you are too low. They were able to grow so quickly probably because you had slight elevated levels (still in the good zone). They will die back off to equilibrium if you just keep on keepin' on. It could take a month, or so. Most tanks are not completely cycled for a year, or so, and people give up on them early and start using GFO and vodka and stuff when if they just waited, then tank would take care of everything it's self - in essence, they interrupt the cycle by artificially removing the fuel for the bacteria.

This is a different topic for a different day, but unless you totally know what you are getting into, BB can be a real headache. It works and all, but it is not like a regular tank.

JDA- that makes sense. I had tremendous colors and growth for the first 3 months( nutrient levels you are speaking of) growth has stayed good, colors have faded a bit. Any suggestions for cycling the tank faster? I do weekly water changes and my skimmer is a beast for the tank.
I appreciate all the responses

What had is saying is just keep up the good maintenance regime you are and things will come along. Nothing can speed things up at this point. It's a waiting game. I love tanks for the first few months. My corals always look and grow well. The. I far the same thing as you. Just give things some time and things will come back.

Back