Coming Back to Reef Tank keeping, the right way

SpenserJH

So I have decided to jump back into reef keeping, and I had a 14 gallon Bio Cube Setup for about and year and honestly, I was frustrated with the low bio load and corals I could keep. So I figured I'd save and get a system that would be everything I'd need and could keep almost any fish or coral. I have a list that I have constructed and was wondering if I could get some input on it and if I should add or remove products to save or spend more money. Here is the List:
"¢ Dr Foster and Smith
o Red Sea Reef 250 (65 Gallon): $1,299.00
o Reef Octopus Pinwheel In-Sump Skimmer (4"): $189.99
o Jager Thermostat Heater (150W): $29.99
o EcoTech Marine VorTech QuietDrive Propeller Pumps: $235.00
o CaribSea South Seas Base Rock (40lbs): $83.07
o Fiji Pink Sand 0.5-1.5 mm; 20 lb water packed bag x2: $46.20
o Red Sea Coral Pro Salt (175 Gallons): $72.99
"¢ Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit: $59.99
"¢ Amazon
o Jecod/Jebao DCT Marine Controllable Water Pump: $63.04
o AquaFX Barracuda RO/DI Aquarium Filter: $169.02
o Kessil A160WE Controllable LED Aquarium Light x2: $455.38
 Kessil LED Light Pendant A-Series Gooseneck Clamp/Mount: $74.98
 Kessil Spectral Controller: $99.00
o Ontel SCN-MC12 Stick 'N' Click Set of 3 Peel and Stick LED Lights: $7.99

"¢ Bulk Reef Supply
o Kill A Watt PS-10 Electricity Usage Monitoring Power Strip: $69.99
Total
"¢ $3,000

What do y'all think? :lmao:

There is an interesting 250 build thread over in the appropriate forum by member Tenurepro. That might give you some ideas.

I looked at the 250, but was kinda confused as how to approach lighting it. It seemed too big for one light and too small for two smaller lights. I think you might need a third 160 series Kessil on that tank (but have no experience with the 160 series). Two A360we would be a ton of light.

I second ditching the coral pro, just use the blue bucket red sea salt. Get some two part to bump up the dkh and Mg if you need to. Or go cheap with a kalk drip (still need to dose Mg).

The Jager heaters can be long. Measure the dimensions of the sump. I have the 350 and run about 500w over two heaters via a controller. 150w might not be enough.

Apex? or other heater controller. This will tell you your amp draw and it's not 70 bucks.

ATO (the red sea is lacking here) Tunze 3155 is way to go.

QT tank?

Thank you guys for the suggestions! I do have a small 14 gallon Bio Cube I was going to use as a QT. However I may have to upgrade the size for that as well.

Back