Concerning the food

trueperc

First off, I have to say really enojoyed the article about the aquarium.
One thing that caught me off guard, as well as some others is the "Feed four stations of greens for the fish (romaine, bokchoy and broccoli) "
I as well as others always were told that these foods were not the best to give our fish and that nori is the only way to go.
I do remember when I first started that romaine was one thing people were suggesting but they when ask on the boards, everyone would say its not good exspecially long term.
Can you explain why you choose this route. Thanks.

Stick with what you already know. These types of veggies contain almost no nutrition and yes long term they will not provide the proper nutrients for your herbivore fish. Nori is very good but I prefer Julian Springs/Two little Fishes Purple algae. Very high in nutrition and a natural selection for your fish. I also use Ocean Nutrition's Spirulina as it contains HUFA's. I've been feeding these brands to my fish for years and some are more than 8 years old. Even my clown fish eat both and they are carnivores.

Scott

I know about the nori, I have been feeding it for six years to all my fish. Plus I feed the same as you with the spirulina, as well as forumal 1 and 2. I was just curious as to why this public aquarium would choose to feed what they are feeding. You would figure a system that big it would be the closet to a natural enviroment that the fish would need any additional food. This was just more of a curiousity question.

I'm not sure why they would either. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as their using natural saltwater algae. Maybe it is to save some money. Also unless these greens are organically grown they will contain pesticides more than likely and that is a chance I wouldn't want to take.

the veggies we eat maybe nutriently enough, but not for these fishes. I agree with Jonbry and would go for some Nori. You can also feed Ocean Nutrient "Fotmula One" or "Formula Two." I think Formula two is at best because it have more herbivore food ingredients such at Algaes and other type of food.

To All,

As you can see from the fish inventory for the system we do have a large number of herbivores in the system. I am very fortunate in the fact that due to the texture of the rockwork and the large surface area that it provides we do have a constant supply of natural algae that is growing in the system and having the skylight has provided a great resource for natural foods in the tank. You see all the surgeons picking and grazing all day long in the tank. Therefore the greens that we feed out for the fish is an added supplement for what they already receive. We place four different stations throughout the exhibit for them. This does help to allow any of the weaker fish a chance to graze with out having to constantly compete with others. You could consider the greens as enrichment for the fish not as a major contributor to their diet. I will toss in nori as well for the same reasons.

I hope this clarifies why we place the greens in the exhibit. If you have any more questions in regards to this I would be happy to answer. Sorry for my delay in response I have been off work the past few days.

Thank you
Kim

Thanks Kim,

I think everyone's real question is the choice of what you are feeding. Have you seen any negatives to feeding this type of food? How long have you been feeding these veggies?
I understand when some say nori is best, however I also know most of the nori is roasted and after a time can get quite expensive. I’m just really trying to explorer this subject.

I have also heard people feeding banana slices and carrots.

For those who state to only feed nori, is there any proof or experiences which feeding this land-based diet is bad?

We do feed our fish a lots of things that they would not normal eat. For example, look at the ingredients of Formula 1 & 2.

Maybe giving land-based foods is a plus. Now I am not saying everyone should change his or her fishes diet, but this is an interesting topic.

Like I have said before, when I first started, I remember feeding romaine and spinach, what people feed the herbivores. Now we have an example of this public aquarium doing it. But to say you only feed nori because you feel its best is not a qualified reason.

Great thread Gary.

After reading the complexity of the system I can understand why the entrance fee is easily justified. I'll hopefully get to stop by the aquarium the next time I'm down at the FIRST Robotics Competition which is held at the Georgia Dome. I've always dreamed of working at an aqaurium. I tried to apply for a job at the NY Aquarium in Coney island back in my HS years.

Great work Kim and company it's quite breathtaking.

you guys will be amazed, i got in on media day before the public on a free pass from the staff (our company provided some equipment in the building is why) and have been back twice since as a paying customer like anyone else, and if i had the money and time to go every week with my kids i would, absolutely amazing

Back