Confirm or deny?

campos

So I was at my LFS to buy some salt mix and was wondering if anyones heard this.
I was looking to buy the D D H2ocean salt mix but my LFS did not have any so they tried to sell me Red Sea mix which I have used in the past with no complaints I just wanted to try something different. Here's the question the LFS told me that Red Sea and DD H2Ocean salt mixes are identical. They told me the stuff is made in the same factory and there is no difference between the two. So is my LFS just telling me this because they do not have H2Ocean?

So I was at my LFS to buy some salt mix and was wondering if anyones heard this.
I was looking to buy the D D H2ocean salt mix but my LFS did not have any so they tried to sell me Red Sea mix which I have used in the past with no complaints I just wanted to try something different. Here's the question the LFS told me that Red Sea and DD H2Ocean salt mixes are identical. They told me the stuff is made in the same factory and there is no difference between the two. So is my LFS just telling me this because they do not have H2Ocean?

From everything I have read these salts have different levels, here are the results that they received.

D-D H20
Temperature - 26c
Salinity - 35ppt
pH (Salifert) - 8.60
pH (Pinpoint) - 8.90
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
Phosphate P - 0ppm
Potassium - 370ppm
Strontium - 4ppm
Calcium - 415ppm
Magnesium - 1350ppm
Alkalinity - 8.1Dkh
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Red Sea Coral Salt
Temperature - 26c
Salinity - 35ppt
pH (Salifert) - 8.50
pH (Pinpoint) - 8.52
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
Phosphate P - 0ppm
Potassium - 340ppm
Strontium - 22ppm
Calcium - 405ppm
Magnesium - 1170ppm
Alkalinity - 8.6Dkh

Those two salts are made by different manufacturers. Your lfs was selling you a bill of goods. They are not even close to the same salt. Though in a pinch, either would be fine.

I hate when lfs's lie...... :(

I agree that is one thing that upsets me about my LFS. They are always pushing what they sell and bad mouth what they don't. That is until the following week when they get what they didn't have previously and now that they have it, it's the best thing out there.
Thanks for the help guys.

I believe D-D H2O and RedSea pro are mixed to different formulations, but they both come from the same factory in Israel.

Yes, I was wrong. They are indeed made by the same manufacturer. Just different formulas. Sorry for the mistake. I also understand Red Sea has or is changing its formula. I may have to get back to testing again. :)

I have used both, and they both left a brown film behind in my mixing tub. It was really alot that supprised me as much as the D&D costs you wouldn't think it would do that.

I know Red Sea uses an evaporation process to get its salt.Then they add the particulars. This process leaves unwanted residue. The D&D I don't know about.

I have done the same transition and it is difficult for me to acknowledge that same factory will use a different production line for a similar product. Obviously, if they use an evaporation process they will use the same sea water. The difference will be on additions and from the chemistry posted I will say the variation is within process control. There is nothing there that will spark out, so to speak. Hard to say if DD will justify the price, maybe better ionic balance, but who can verify this ??

cheers,
MaLi

Back