Confused about placement of Acros

The Escaped Ape

In The Canopy
Well, having invested recently in my first Acros since my tank reboot, I've now got to the stage where I'm considering where to place them permanently. They're currently all placed on the bottom of the tank (For info, my tank is relatively shallow (18"), with the fixture hung pretty close to the water (3-4"), but only a 150w MH (DE Radium though, which is pretty bright) and 2 x Actinic plus and 2 x Pure Actinic Giesemann bulbs). All are maricultured, apart from the possible A.loripes and maybe A.hyacinthus (which came as a small frag).

I have a peach A.millepora with green polyps that I assume would be best placed in a shallow, light intense position with lots of flow, based on what I've read.

I also have a few others that I'm less sure about. This looks like an Acropora loripes to my untrained eye, but there seem to be different views on whether it needs a lot of light or relatively little for an Acro (mid-tank, medium flow?), having done a search of threads here. What's the consensus nowadays?

IMG_1105.jpg

The SPS ID forum answer on this one was A.hyacinthus, which as a pink tabling Acro which the AIMS site says comes from upper reef slopes, I'm assuming should go reasonably high up the tank with a horizontal placement, again in a bright position?

IMG_1099.jpg

The suggestion on this was A.chesterfieldensis. That seems to have a very limited distribution, so I'm not sure about that. But it seems to be growing well already, only a few weeks after purchase. I'm thinking mid-tank, reasonably bright, but not as intense a position as the A.millepora or A.hyacinthus. Does that sound like a good plan?

IMG_1114.jpg

Finally, here is a browned out cheapo purchase. A.prostrata? If so, does it have any particular lighting preferences?

IMG_1090.jpg

Not sure whether my questions are too basic, or maybe there aren't definitive answers, but going for a cheeky bump, just in case people just haven't spotted me yet...

I think there just isn't any definite answer. Two different hyacinthuses (hyacinthi? sp) could have different requirement to look "good" in our eyes. The safest way is to start then low at medium flow and raise them slowly until they color up to your liking

Thanks SpinyReef! I guess I'll just go with my hunches based on the bit of research I've done then. The A.loripes was the one I was least sure about - read all sorts of suggestions - but I'll go for mid-depth/light I think in the end.

Back