Confusing brown algae problem

PMReefs

I'm having the worst time with my tank and I can't figure it out.

System is a 20L with a 30 gallon sump, about 40 gallons total volume.
Gyre fx230 for flow
Two AI hydra 26 for lighting
Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer
2 filter socks
Clear water algae scrubbber CW-100
Marine pure block in sump
Reefcleaners dry rock cycled in tank.
Newest Apex Neptune system controlling everything.

Ammonia 0 - sailfert
Nitrates 0 - sailfert
Phosphate 0 - Hannah ultra low checker
Ph 8.1-8.2 - apex probe
Temp 78-79 controller by apex probe
Salinity 35.8 - apex probe and refractometer

10 gallon water change with 0tdm ro/di using fritz pro reef mix every Saturday

Tank only has a pair of yellow watchman gobies, 2 hermits, about 10 snails. Hammer, one sps stick, and a chalice, all doing great.

Feed quarter cube of frozen food every other day

I can't test for anything out of whack, keep up on maintenance, tank has been through cycle and running 4 months now. The algae scrubber barely grows any algae.

Problem is my rocks are growing a **** ton of brown hair algae, I mean it's really bad, never had a problem like this that I could test for or fix with regular maintnence, I've also tried adjusting the flow extremely high so no dead spots, fish can't even swim and the algae seems to grow even faster in that :/. No idea what to do at this point and I'm losing hope.

Also the sand is perfect, no algae grows on it which is confusing.

CcJWeWc

AVMXarc

That's pretty common around 4-6 month mark of my tank builds. It eventually dies out on its own about 1-2 months. It's happened in 3 of my tank builds.

I believe it from the rocks leeching PO4 or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having the worst time with my tank and I can't figure it out.
Ammonia 0 - sailfert
Nitrates 0 - sailfert
Phosphate 0 - Hannah ultra low checker
Ph 8.1-8.2 - apex probe
Temp 78-79 controller by apex probe
Salinity 35.8 - apex probe and refractometer

Tank only has a pair of yellow watchman gobies, 2 hermits, about 10 snails. Hammer, one sps stick, and a chalice, all doing great.

The algae scrubber barely grows any algae.

Problem is my rocks are growing a **** ton of brown hair algae.

Also the sand is perfect, no algae grows on it which is confusing.

My guess is try to raise your nitrate and phosphate. The hair algae is consuming what little of these 2 nutrients you have. There is none left for your algae in the scrubber. Feed more maybe. Remove the hair manually. Its a pain but it should pass.

My guess is try to raise your nitrate and phosphate. The hair algae is consuming what little of these 2 nutrients you have. There is none left for your algae in the scrubber. Feed more maybe. Remove the hair manually. Its a pain but it should pass.

Hmm that's not a bad idea, i'll start feeding daily for awhile and see what happens.

Think I should change from weekly water changes to every other week?

Back