Continuous feeding NPS filter feeders

Came across this thread looking for auto feeder designs. I don't keep NPS, but I'd like an auto feeder to feed frozen food to my fish three times a day (I have a lot of anthias). I like the continuous loop idea to avoid any food staying in the line too long. But will a dosing pump work for me or will it clog? I feed frozen mysis, cyclop eeze, prawn roe, and a mix of shrimp, scallop, squid, etc that I mince up in a blender. I think the roe and cyclop eeze would do fine through the dosing pump's airline tubing, but the mysis and mixed food will probably clog the line. Any suggestions?

Also, how long will frozen food last unfrozen in the fridge? And should there be a micro power head in with the food to keep it suspended and avoid it all sinking to the bottom? Maybe on the same timer as the doser? Will running these foods through a power head destroy the food (specifically the roe)?

I've diy a ssyringe pump which is cheap.
DSC_0253_zpsaf1dbdd9.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjOFjzfv9RA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Using Air pump to push the plunger of the syringe to discharge the food.

2.0 version of the refridgerated autofeeder

IMG_0008.jpg

Mike

I revamped my continuous feeder to utilize a full sized mini-fridge so that I can put a profilux doser inside with a 3/4" kent venturi. It's T'd off of my return and ran through the fridge and directly into the NPS/display fuge in my system.

Went to do a water change this morning and found out the hard way that turning off my return/not enough water pumping through causes water to shoot out the venturi.

Any suggestions to stop this from happening?

I ran it vertically...the input from the return comes through the bottom and pushes the water upward...

Here it is...

I revamped my continuous feeder to utilize a full sized mini-fridge so that I can put a profilux doser inside with a 3/4" kent venturi. It's T'd off of my return and ran through the fridge and directly into the NPS/display fuge in my system.

Went to do a water change this morning and found out the hard way that turning off my return/not enough water pumping through causes water to shoot out the venturi.

Any suggestions to stop this from happening?

I ran it vertically...the input from the return comes through the bottom and pushes the water upward...

Here it is...

Ahh yeas, a lesson we all learned, me the hard way also!! You need to put a one way valve on the output of your feeder line. That or you can plumb one in between the display and the Venturi. So that water does not feed backwards.

I love this thread. Reading the entire thing gave a ton of ideas on how to setup my own. I currently use an Enteral pump with a wine cooler to keep the solution cold. My question is, how do you keep the particles suspended or dose in a uniform way rather than have some chunks go out one day and then the next only liquid solution comes out?

What a great set up you're putting together. Are you using three stirrers for your dosing pumps?

I'm actually still in the process of putting my new feeder setup together. I still have to order my dosing pump.

GHL standalone 4 pump doser:

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2009/10/ghl-dosing-systems.html

As well as 4 of the magnetic stirrers that I linked above.

I ordered two of the check valves that I linked above as well...supposed to receive them Thursday. I want to put one between the "T" off of the return pump and the other on the output of the fridge before the tank...just to be safe. I can NOT have a flood/leak and check valves are known to fail...so I'm putting two just in case.

I'm actually still in the process of putting my new feeder setup together. I still have to order my dosing pump.

GHL standalone 4 pump doser:

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2009/10/ghl-dosing-systems.html

As well as 4 of the magnetic stirrers that I linked above.

I ordered two of the check valves that I linked above as well...supposed to receive them Thursday. I want to put one between the "T" off of the return pump and the other on the output of the fridge before the tank...just to be safe. I can NOT have a flood/leak and check valves are known to fail...so I'm putting two just in case.

It's back siphoning from the tank return line and shoots out of the venturi if my return pump is shut off.

Ordering this in the morning to put on the return line between the fridge and tank to stop it from occuring...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerk...-Check-Valve-VCKP40E4B/204237836#.UZma-6LF1P0

problem with flapper valves like that is, particles can and do keep them open, and you typically need to swap out the spring used.

What are you dosing that needs magnetic stirrers?

The magnets in those stirrers aren't ballsy enough unless the food is very watery. If diluting the food is not going to pose a problem, then they will be ok.

When using an enteral feeding pump, you can thicken the food with sodium alginate to keep it from separating (no stirrer needed).

What does everyone think will be largest food that can pass through the Profilux doser? Looking at the Reef Nutrition line of products? Is Mysis an option? Or will it get stuck in the doser line?

Back