Controllers? which one to get?

bigzman

So in short prepping electrical for my 330 build and as much as I love my reefkeeper more so because I have 6 power bars. I really want some of the cloud based functions and remote controlling feature. Was going to get an apex but as great as they are it seems they are phasing some of their 1st gen Hardware out. I have seen Mikes anachronism which is were I am leaning towards. Any advice and input would be help.

So in short prepping electrical for my 330 build and as much as I love my reefkeeper more so because I have 6 power bars. I really want some of the cloud based functions and remote controlling feature. Was going to get an apex but as great as they are it seems they are phasing some of their 1st gen Hardware out. I have seen Mikes anachronism which is were I am leaning towards. Any advice and input would be help.

Hey Z,

As much as I love my Apex, I don't see it financially viable for you to get the Apex, plus 2 more EB8 bars when you can get the Archon for $399 and use everything you already have in place.

If I was in your situation with that many power bars, I would stick to digital aquatics.

On the flip side of that coin, now that the new APEX pre-sale started, maybe you can get a great price on the current gen Apex and a few EB8s.

Good luck.

They are not phasing anything apex out. Changes yes but all old stuff works with the new unit. Only thing apex that doesn't work together is the new eb8 version with the old apex base unit. Every other component is forward and backwards compatible. Lots of bad info out there already on this.

Vertex

Vertex

Thanks cnreef, that vertex controller looks cool. I will move forward with reefkeeper for now. WEbmanny you are right the cost of replacing power bars makes the anchorn an obvious upgrade choice in future.

Rob, apex being a market leader positions them as the trend setter. Although there might be support for some of there older products now they seem to be in same boat as when Apple decided to switch to thunderbolt leaving many to buy new cables and accessories (although change was for the better) I have a feeling there is more to follow on their new platform.

Vertex also has their controller coming soon, maybe something to consider

I understand concern but not the comparison.The aquabus is staying and not in need of change. The 1 link is a new way of powering and controlling lights and pumps which will already have cables attached to them. All I see are tons of upgrades we have been begging for for years. They will continue to support all of their old apex modules because they all still work with the new stuff.
I can't argue with you getting the archon because it appears to be a great controller. I just hope they took away your ability to easily brick it.

They are not phasing anything apex out. Changes yes but all old stuff works with the new unit. Only thing apex that doesn't work together is the new eb8 version with the old apex base unit. Every other component is forward and backwards compatible. Lots of bad info out there already on this.

I completely agree and just to clarify, I never said anything about them phasing out the current model. I just think that some people who are financially better positioned, will inevitably sell their old Apex setup and get all new stuff to have the latest and greatest and some used Apex setups will be for sale soon for a better price than today.

This same thing happens every time a new version of any electronic device comes to the market. Some people stay where they are and/or maybe upgrade a few components, while others replace everything with the new and shiny stuff.

I really love my Apex, it has saved me plenty of times now and it keeps me more in touch with what is going on with my tank, but if I was in Big Z's shoes, I would stick with the Archon.

if you ask me, it all get's down to "boyz and their toys" :). They all are nice and they all have pluses and minuses. How much can you afford and what do you really want to do with it. You can rationalize anything you want to be sure. To be honest, "no controller at all" works just fine also, but automation is also very nice. I think in your case it gets down to what do you want to spend. If you were starting from scratch, there are a lot of options these days and everyone of them will have 100 people saying why best. Personally, I look at what I want to do and what costs me the least. In my case, I was an early adopter so there was a lot of growing pains. Would I do different today ......... hummmmm, probably, but it would have been something not listed above :)

Better than Z I guess. Lol
There is another one that is really nice but the name escapes me. I think they might be in Florida?

Puratek. I talked to the owner at one of the shows. Very nice and robust product. This would be my choice after Apex.

This is a great thread Z, I'm struggling too on this choice. I was leaning towards apex but with the Tunze and Vertex coming out soon I am holding out for the releases and early adopter reviews. Vertex looks really promising to me, especially if I can code my own apps!

Controller

Controller

Joe, I too am keeping my eyes on vertex. As for now I really need something to start build and will stick with my reefkeeper elite. As Mike pointed out being an early adopter is a commitment.

This is a great thread Z, I'm struggling too on this choice. I was leaning towards apex but with the Tunze and Vertex coming out soon I am holding out for the releases and early adopter reviews. Vertex looks really promising to me, especially if I can code my own apps!

Back