Converting from straight to square pin

reefer1024

I have an dual 18 watt coralife fixture that uses straight pin bulbs. Unfortunately the dual actinic bulbs I want are square pin.

I want to know how hard it is to change the pin configuration from straight to square pin. Is it as simple as wiring on a different endcap, or would I need to swap the ballast also?

Thank you for the answer James. I mean no disrespect, but can somebody else confirm this? I just want to double check so I don't burn my house down.:D

You don't have to switch end caps, just frankenstein the current one you have. Make it waterproof somehow and your fine with just taking it apart and hooking the leads up.

Thanks everyone. This Frankenstein idea intrigues me, but I have no idea what pins are the +/- . Do you know where I can find a diagram?

It doesn't matter +/- just as long as you wire the pairs to the same side. I have seen some ballast with 2 red and 2 blue wire and others that are all black but are still seperated in pairs. Just make sure you wire the pairs as top and bottom pins and NOT both tops and both bottoms. For instance wire both blue wires to the left side and the reds to the right, not that it really matters which color goes on which side. Hope this helps.

Back