Copperband Butterfly

Surfacer

I am wondering what everyone's input is on adding one to my tank? I currently have a 90g mixed reef with:
- 1 Ocellaris clownfish
- 1 Green Chromis
- 1 Purple Psudochromis
- 1 Flame Angel 2"
- 1 Powder Blue Tang 2.5"
- 1 Purple Tang 4"
- 1 Blue Spotted Jawfish 2.5"

I know that the purple and powder blue are aggressive but since they are well fed the aggressiveness is zero. I also know I will eventually need to upgrade to a larger tank or get rid of the purple soon due to size but for now he seems happy.
I have about 120# of live rock with a well established refugium for many pods. The total system is over a year old.

If you guys believe it is ok I would like to know if I should get a medium - large Copperband (3"-4") or a small one (1.5"-2") to cut down on stress. My LFS just got a Large and Small one in today but I wanted to hear from those who have had success with them. I have heard they can be tough to keep due to being finicky eaters.

I am by no means an expert . I had one and they are a very shy fish very laid back and should be one of the first in . They are very difficult to keep very finicky eaters some eat some do not . Mine ate live black worms only would not eat anything else (probably why he died) . stubby

I would not add a copperband to that tank with those established tangs. ( Both are aggressive as they age and you have more to worry about with the powder blue than the purple) I have seen PBT that easily outgrew their 180g tank and started being very aggressive towards tankmates. I have had my copperband for about 8-9mths now and he eats all types of foods ( which is rare) and my yellow tang still gives him a chase or 2 each day. They are in a 170g tank

Sad to say they are very hard to keep alive . they have done their work in my tanks to get rid of pest but when the pest are gone they tend to starve them selfs. they also get stressed very easy & are picky eaters. Be careful if U dont like loss. Also is a good thing to have very peaceful tank mates. Good luck

I would not add a copperband to that tank with those established tangs. ( Both are aggressive as they age and you have more to worry about with the powder blue than the purple) I have seen PBT that easily outgrew their 180g tank and started being very aggressive towards tankmates. I have had my copperband for about 8-9mths now and he eats all types of foods ( which is rare) and my yellow tang still gives him a chase or 2 each day. They are in a 170g tank

Thank you for the advice. I should have know a PBT would be trouble but they are so pretty. I also know they are ick magnets but mine seems to keep it at bay. Maybe its an aggressive level thing? The more aggressive it is the better its survival; kinda like only the strong survive.
Anyway back on topic, Do you think getting rid of one of the tangs would open the possibility of a copperband? Or even taking them out and introducing everyone at the same time so they could reestablish territory?

Back