Copperband Fasting?

reniva

So I’ve had this copperband for about 2-3 weeks. He was eating great when I got him, he needed some time to eat in my tank (about less than a week after getting him). He was eating super agressively. Now he won’t eat. I’m wondering if anyone has had problems with copper bands eating then not in the same environment. I hope he’s just not hungry but it’s been about 2-3 days and I’m getting concerned. He’s gained weight since I got him but now I feel like he’s lost some in the past few days.

The thing is I got him eating super aggressively in this particular tank with the same tank mates, he’s just suddenly stopped eating. I haven’t had any param swings, new tank mates and anything else change. He’s eating mostly brine but a little mysis. I’ve tried masstick and clam but he doesn’t touch. Did not qt him, no symptoms but he does seem to be glass surfing but it wasn’t as bad as when I got him

Is the fish picking at anything on the rocks? Is another of the fish picking on him?

IMO with Copperbands they can be difficult to maintain long term sometimes.

ETA - What are you feeding him?

Is the fish picking at anything on the rocks? Is another of the fish picking on him?

IMO with Copperbands they can be difficult to maintain long term sometimes.

ETA - What are you feeding him?
He is picking a lot at the rocks. my yellow tang bothers him a bit but nothing concerning.
Ive tired bloodworms, 2 brands of brine, 2 brands of mysis, clam in pouch feeder, masstic and I have live black worms coming. he eats brine really well before though

He is picking a lot at the rocks. my yellow tang bothers him a bit but nothing concerning.
Ive tired bloodworms, 2 brands of brine, 2 brands of mysis, clam in pouch feeder, masstic and I have live black worms coming. he eats brine really well before though
Brine shrimp aren't very nutritious. For some other choices, Download then read, the Fish Nutrition document.

I've raised several Copperband fish since in the hobby. I had two reach the size of a dinner plate. Training them to eat when they are in quarantine, not bothered by any other fish or 'distractions' works best for me. Once in the community tank they may find it difficult to compete -- they are slow/picky eaters.

A fish eating then stopping usually indicates a problem: water quality, tankmate bullying, parasite(s), disease, etc. There is even a chance the fish was caught with cyanide and if so, will likely perish in a few weeks.

Brine shrimp aren't very nutritious. For some other choices, Download then read, the Fish Nutrition document.

I've raised several Copperband fish since in the hobby. I had two reach the size of a dinner plate. Training them to eat when they are in quarantine, not bothered by any other fish or 'distractions' works best for me. Once in the community tank they may find it difficult to compete -- they are slow/picky eaters.

A fish eating then stopping usually indicates a problem: water quality, tankmate bullying, parasite(s), disease, etc. There is even a chance the fish was caught with cyanide and if so, will likely perish in a few weeks.
I’ve gotten him eating agressively again. But he will absolutely take nothing but sanfansico bay brine shrimp cubes. I think I didn’t seal my large brine shrimp slab well and the fridge air mingled with the taste of the brine which stopped him from eating. He would happly take a bite then stop eating. He was off put by the flavor. Since switching to cubes he’s eating well as ever. I’ve also tried selcon, garlic and lrs fish frenzy, he doesnt like the taste of any of the supplements and won’t eat them. Even though he’s eating well he seems to be getting skinner. I’m feeding 10-12 cubes a day of brine but apparently that’s not enough

I am well aware that brine is terrible nutritionally, I usually only feed mysis but bought brine just for him

I am well aware that brine is terrible nutritionally, I usually only feed mysis but bought brine just for him I’ve been

I am well aware that brine is terrible nutritionally, I usually only feed mysis but bought brine just for him
I’ve been trying to get him on healthier foods but he wont take it even if I mix the foods he knows

Try mixing the brine with other foods. Start with a large % brine shrimp, then keep lowering the %. Also, try other frozen pods to mix with the brine shrimp.

Good luck!

Try mixing the brine with other foods. Start with a large % brine shrimp, then keep lowering the %. Also, try other frozen pods to mix with the brine shrimp.

Good luck!
I have he just picks the brine out I’ll try again tho.

I use a .15cc scoop, the kind that typically comes with test kits or meds to mix brine shrimp, mysid and calanus and sometimes pellets or flakes in a small dosing container like for pepto or cough medicine. I make a paste with some tank water and can target feed my copperband. If other fish come by just lift it out. I usually spread some food around to keep the other fish busy so its easier to target feed the copperband. When travel I use a auto feeder that drops the same food(dry obviously) into a feed ring and he's able to get food since it's concentrated in a small area.

Recently have the same experience with a pair of CBB. I was able to ID male and female CBB at a LFS. I asked the owner to pair the two. I paid but leave the fish at the store for 1 week until I am sure they paired. I came into the store every day and asked the employee to feed the two fish. They ate well. The owner keep copper in the system. I did not asked them to check copper level, assume that they know what they are doing and not over medicated the fish.
I bough them home. Put them into my QT system with plenty of pods, worms and aiptasia. They ate for 3 more day, less and less each day, and died by the 10th day, one right after the other. In the mean time, my dither fish (a small Convict Tang) in the system continue to eat and poop like a horse.
I think they died of copper poison. I got two different CBB from two other LFS (In San Antonio and Austin). This pair is eat great, in exactly the same set up with the same dither fish.
Extra full female at bed time
CBB2024040105RS.jpg

The pair
CBB2024041403PairRS.jpg
CBB2024041405PairRS.jpg
CBB2024041601PairRS.jpg

A couple of foods allot of people use to get them to eat.

Masstick and half clams.

There are allot of videos out there on feeding these two too Copperbands.

Back