Coral Banded and Cleaner shrimp question

itz frank

Gives Bad Advice.
Can you put the two in the same tank? We have a mated pair of coral banded and a cleaner in the same tank and they seem to pick on each other a little bit. Is this normal?

I would not put coral banded shrimp with any other shrimp unless you have a large enough aquarium that they would not come in contact with each other day or night. You also have to watch out for cannabilism as well. I fed my corals three times a day and cannabilism still took place. Maybe it is because i have the jeffery dahmer of cb shrimp. Believe it or not i watched the shrimp pluck a HEALTHY damsel right out of the water column and eat it head first. So yes it is normal for cb shrimp to be hostile towards other inhabitants of your reef, as far as a cb and a cleaner shrimp i would not know. I have tried putting peppermints in with the jeffery dahmer shrimp and all they did was hang out at the top of the aquarium.

They're in a 90gal reef together. They have poked at each other a bit. They've managed to land the same rock/cave and don't seem to be interested in any of the remaining areas. I hope they won't have problems. Maybe the Mated pair will just force the cleaner to find a new home in the tank. I don't think the cleaner shrimp are large enough to eat any of the fish in my tank either. But who knows, i guess i'll just have to learn first hand.

i had a large female CB before i caught a lysmata . it knows to get out of the CB's way and so far they get along just fine.

I have had a cleaner shrimp for around a year and the Banded Coral Shrimp was part of my first clean up crew 3 years ago. They do fine and the cleaner was really little when I got him.

The cleaner is SO much faster than CB that it isn't a problem in my 55. CB will try to chase the cleaner every once in a while but doesn't have a chance to really get him.

It's actually kind of funny to see him try.

Yea i too have both in my 46 and there is no porblem...i first added the CBS then a salley lightfoot a few months later...the CBS was pretty nastry, always chasing everything...then one day i woke up and looked in there and saw that the big boss man was missing one of his claw arms...
My guess is that he messed with the wrong crab...lol...since then hes been a little more reserved!

Back