Coral beauty acting strange

The more I search around, the more uncertain I get as far as treatment goes. As far as I know, velvet is very deadly and does its job quick. Its been 2 days now and the fish hasnt really gotten better or worse. But then again his face looks kind of powdery if you look REALLY CLOSE. I read one thread about a guy who had low ph and his coral beauty was acting weird. Hypo causes low ph so I opened the windows in the room and took the lid off the tank. I am going to watch the fish over the next few hours. If his condition stays the same or worsens than I will proceed with the cupramine.(I still need to raise sg so I probably won't be able to treat for about a week UNLESS someone has advice on how to treat sooner). Thank you so much and I appreciate your time.

Dude just dont freak out. Usually bad news comes in packs. Yes take it slow. As I said. If the fish dies...well its a shame, but not the end of the world.

I had 2 wipe outs in my system, the second one because of a stupid mistake that I made. I was about to quit the hobbie. But in the end you just take a big breath and start over.

Same applies for almost all bad situtations. Just hang in there and keep trying your best.

Dude just dont freak out. Usually bad news comes in packs. Yes take it slow. As I said. If the fish dies...well its a shame, but not the end of the world.

I had 2 wipe outs in my system, the second one because of a stupid mistake that I made. I was about to quit the hobbie. But in the end you just take a big breath and start over.

Same applies for almost all bad situtations. Just hang in there and keep trying your best.

I can't imagine having my whole tank getting wiped out. Sorry to hear about that man. I realize how insignificant my situation is, it just sucks lol.
Anyway, I bought cupramine this morning. I added a bit of seachem stability just to be safe as far as the bio filter goes. The sg is now at 1.010-1.011 so I dosed half of the recommended dosage(plus I have to take it slow since I have an angel). So right now the concentration in the tank should be .125. I'll test with my salifert test once I get back from work. Im hoping that low dose can atleast give the angel a fighting chance until I get to the full dosage. Seachem states that cp can be used with hypo but you should only bring the level up to .375 max. Hopefully he starts looking better soon, although he looks like he has a thick milky slime coat which I read is what happens right around the time the fish passes. We'll see!

The problem with this hobby is that there are few certain truths to it. Or at least is difficult to filter all the information. There is to much noise. If you try to find information in the web, it will look like your fish have all the diseases at the same time but there is also people claiming that garlic will cure it, which it won't.

Im in the same situation and I have a cabinet full of crap because of what I read. It's a learning process. The problem is that while you learn fishes dies.

I had fishes that died and they were looking great when I got them, never to understood what killed them.

Post a pic of the guy. They usually help to identify what's the cause and prevent from happening again.

Post a pic of the guy. They usually help to identify what's the cause and prevent from happening again.

Are the links invalid to the video? When I try to upload a picture directly to the site it says upload failed. Just in case this link works, here's a picture of him.

https://plus.google.com/107054426560917985851/posts/cZ7bqmPRa6y

If this link doesn't work let me know and I will try to take a picture with a smaller file size and see if it works. I'm at work right now so I have to use a picture I already have on my phone.

You can't really tell from the picture but he has a milky slime coat where his body meets his dorsal fin.
(White streak on face is on the glass)

the link works... but I would post more than one. Is the fish eating?

He didn't eat yesterday when I fed them and I haven't tried yet today but I'm assuming he still wont. Then again I did dose some cupramine though so maybe that will relieve some of the stress so I'll try to feed him when I get home. Gobies still eating. I'm sorry about only posting one pic. Like I said I have to use pictures I already have on my phone since I'm at work. That's the only recent picture I have right now. I should be home in an hour so I'll post more pics then! Thanks

Some people say to give fish a fw dip to relieve them. Should I do this? I feel like it will just stress him more even though he doesn't look like he has much time anyway. Would the dip make most of the velvet on him drop off of him and help him out?

I cant see anything really wrong in the pics. Just be patient.

Yep I feel like every picture and video I post doesn't show truly how bad of shape the fish is in. The velvet is very hard for me to spot and I see the fish first hand, so the camera doesnt really pick it up. When I watch him he will just slowly drift around and every once in a while he stops moving completely and then "twitches back to life". He swims with his body at an angle like he doesn't have the energy to keep himself upright. Also breathing very fast and heavy. I tried to feed him and he showed no interest. Goby ate so I'm assuming he built up a partial immunity. I will carry out the 4 weeks of cp on the goby even if the CB dies. I tested the cp level and it is .25 and my sg is up to 1.012. I'll dose the level up to .375 tomorrow night or the next day. At this point I guess all I can do is sit back and hope the fish makes it.

I cant see anything really wrong in the pics. Just be patient.

Yep I feel like every picture and video I post doesn't show truly how bad of shape the fish is in. The velvet is very hard for me to spot and I see the fish first hand, so the camera doesnt really pick it up. When I watch him he will just slowly drift around and every once in a while he stops moving completely and then "twitches back to life". He swims with his body at an angle like he doesn't have the energy to keep himself upright. Also breathing very fast and heavy. I tried to feed him and he showed no interest. Goby ate so I'm assuming he built up a partial immunity. I will carry out the 4 weeks of cp on the goby even if the CB dies. I tested the cp level and it is .25 and my sg is up to 1.012. I'll dose the level up to .375 tomorrow night or the next day. At this point I guess all I can do is sit back and hope the fish makes it.

well... if the fish is still alive thats good news. I didnt think the guy could survive the night.

Just keep doing it slow. And see what happens. Cupramine is venenous for almost everything in a tank.

A good news would be if it starts eating again. But then again... its just a matter of time. Dont doze anything else (like prazipro) do not mix medicines.

Also dont buy garlic or any of that crap. If the fish is hungry it will eat. Just keep your water and tank as clean as possible.

The HoB filter with the carbon filter pads do almost nothing for filtration. You'll want one like the Aquaclear style where the water comes up through sponges/filter media.

You'll also need to remove the carbon or it will remove the Cupramine. (CP is Chloroquine Phosphate, not cupramine)

PH - You need to test your PH, besides matching temperature and Salinity you need to match PH, it's tough/lethal on fish if you don't slowly change PH.

I can't see any of the pics or vids because I can't go to plus.google.com, firewall blocks it. Most other image hosting sites I can see. But your description does sound like velvet. Chloroquine Phosphate is considered the best and most effective treatment for velvet. You can get it on ebay or amazon. Get the powder, not the food. 10mg/L for 20 days(1 single dose, don't continue to dose) will knock it out. Fish have lived through 100mg/L of the stuff so it's tough to OD them on it... a lot of people do 15-20mg/L. You usually see results very quickly with it. -and like I said before, you can ask a vet for it too as most stores don't carry it.

You can do a freshwater bath, recommendation is to set sg to 1.001 with Methylene Blue at double the tank dosage for 3 minutes in a bucket.. 5 minutes maximum. This will provide relief to the fish.

Have you been regularly testing your ammonia?

-The bump on his head might be an infection.. can't see it though... but it's fairly common and an anti-bacterial might be needed.

Last edited:
The HoB filter with the carbon filter pads do almost nothing for filtration. You'll want one like the Aquaclear style where the water comes up through sponges/filter media.

You'll also need to remove the carbon or it will remove the Cupramine. (CP is Chloroquine Phosphate, not cupramine)

PH - You need to test your PH, besides matching temperature and Salinity you need to match PH, it's tough/lethal on fish if you don't slowly change PH.

I can't see any of the pics or vids because I can't go to plus.google.com, firewall blocks it. Most other image hosting sites I can see. But your description does sound like velvet. Chloroquine Phosphate is considered the best and most effective treatment for velvet. You can get it on ebay or amazon. Get the powder, not the food. 10mg/L for 20 days(1 single dose, don't continue to dose) will knock it out. Fish have lived through 100mg/L of the stuff so it's tough to OD them on it... a lot of people do 15-20mg/L. You usually see results very quickly with it. -and like I said before, you can ask a vet for it too as most stores don't carry it.

You can do a freshwater bath, recommendation is to set sg to 1.001 with Methylene Blue at double the tank dosage for 3 minutes in a bucket.. 5 minutes maximum. This will provide relief to the fish.

Have you been regularly testing your ammonia?

-The bump on his head might be an infection.. can't see it though... but it's fairly common and an anti-bacterial might be needed.

The ph is around 8 so that's no worry. I have been testing ammonia, I had one spike that got up to .5-1.0 because nori got clogged in the filter. That's taken care of now. I have 3 sponge pads seeded with bacteria and one carbon filter pad. I took the one carbon filter pad out. I only used it to clear the water after a water change. The bump had turned white and there is another one on the right side of his face and another forming on his side. It looks somewhat like lympho, but can't that only form on fins? I am using cupramine as an alternative for the chloroquine
Phosphate because it's more readily available for me. I'll attach pics of the white bumps on the fish. Sorry they're not the best quality

Attachments

• 20170515_195334.jpg
    20170515_195334.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170515_195253.jpg
    20170515_195253.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
well I use cupramine and paraguard as part of my quarantine process. Chloroquine Phosphate is a pain to get as well as Formaldehyde.

Anyway, if the fish is eating thats a good sign. Just try to keep everything as stable as possible. Dose the medicine. And just keep monitoring.

Dont get your hopes up tho.

Also the white spot could be a parasite, cupramine should kill it. IF its not and its something like a fungus you will need to finish the treatment before trying something else.

He's starting to swim around more like he used to and is getting his personality back instead of sitting in one place like a zombie. The breathing is still pretty fast but it has slowed significantly compared to the past couple of days. I know he's not in the clear yet but this fish practically came back from the dead haha. I'm surprised he has lasted this long with velvet.... he must really have a will to live. How long should i keep up with the cupramine treatment? 30 days?

Back