Coral Beauty with Clams

stilmas

Hello,
I know there is a ton of information on this subject and I took my chances and added an Ultra Crocea Clam with an existing Fiji CB. I noticed that almost immediately he started nipping at the mantle. I have a really large open brain in the tank and he has never touched it or any other corals ever, but seems to like the clam's mantle. Now I'm torn as to what to do and need some opinions and advice. I'm thinking of trying to keep some dried seaweed attached to a small piece of rock and see if that satisfies the CB, but I do have my doubts. I would just yank the CB out and get rid of him, but to be honest this fish is the best algae eater that I have ever had especially when it comes to red bubble algae. It just seems to love the stuff and it wiped out my red bubble problem really fast and I'm afraid that if I remove it, the bubble will grow back with a vengeance. My other choice is to return the clam to the LFS and waith until the CB lives out his life or just disappears like the last one did then get a clam or two. Does anyone have any insight on this, like is it possible that the seaweed on a rock will do the trick or maybe he will just lose interest in the clam naturally? I hate making these damn decisions, but I don't want livestock in danger of being stressed and ultimately killed. Thanks in advance!

I added a CB to my 42 gal tank about a month ago. Already had a Crocea in the tank. So far no problems that I can tell. CB did start to nip at some corals (Turban especially) when I was gone for a few days and feeding reduced. I read that their personalities are variable. Mine seems less trouble when well fed. I shave off frozen cyclopeze and CB goes wild over it.
Might try some kind of transparent plastic cage over the Crocea (like a plastic strawberry basket inverted) hoping the CB will lose interest in a short time.
Good Luck!!
Bobby

Made my decision and brought the clam back. It was the right thing to do since I didn't want it to suffer. I will do clams after the CB is gone I suppose. Thanks for the insight!

Back