Coral ID please

nathan1986

Got this coral for free from a local reefer. Is was dying in his tank. It was (at one point) fully covering a frag disk in my tank after a few months of growing. Well my bulbs got old and most of my corals started to suffer, this one took the biggest hit, only a few heads left. Since i added the led light fixture to the tank the heads of the coral are streaching towards the light so hopefully it will recover. But if for some reason i lose it id like to try again at some point with another but i have no idea what it is. Purple base, heads have bright orange rings and neon green centers. It grows flat and is rubbery/smooth. Sorry for the crappy pic, its the best i could take. View attachment 327887

Man I hope someone IDs this coral cause I'm going nuts trying to figure out what it is based on your pic and description...lol...I'm no expert but I can ID a coral 99% of the time and I have no clue. A better pic (if possible) would help on ID (and with my OCD trying to figure this one out).

Okay i ran with your blasto suggestion. Closest thing i could find is a "jolly rancher blasto" except instead of the red ring mine is bright orange. I really hope i can save this coral. When anyone looks at the tank the first thing they say is oh whats that awesome looking coral lol thanks for the push in the right direction guys! And by the looks of it blasto frags are sometimes sold in 1 head frags, not thats a small frag! So my 6 head frag isnt as bad as i was thinking. Still small tho

its very easy to grow and is the fastest growing coral in my tank... I have to trim it up every couple of months or it starts to run into everything. you need to keep it under lower light to keep the orange color around the polyps otherwise it will just look like a Hollywood stunner

Ya its currently a few inches off my sand bed. If it looses its color a bit im fine with that. If i can save the coral i can always move it to a lower light area once its healty again

Thank god someone correctly ID it...lol...cool looking coral I'm not sure I have seen to many of these. GL with bringing it back.

Back