coral limits

Jman13

i have a 55 gallon tank with a 260watt (4.727wpg) cf light and im just starting to add coral to and i have herd many watts per gallon ideas for different coral types and they all seem to be diffrent so id love to get a strait forward awnser. thanks

I have 265 watt power compacts on my 75 gallon. I have a few mushrooms, one zoo frag and an riteri anemone in my tank.

i would add very few corals with that light.

theres no limit to the number of corals. its the types. id stick with zoanthaids , mushrooms, maybe some LPS if you place them high up in the tank. also are your bulbs new? CF bulbs have to be replaced often. ( every 6 months or so )

Change the bulbs every 6 months and you'd be fine with just about everything but SPS. Upgrading to T5 or Metal Halide would give you more usable output/watt your are consuming with that CF fixture.

That would be good for most lps and softies but not good for most nems, clams, sps etc. If you were looknig to get a lot of sps or something though i would reccommend mh lighting. WPG ratio rules arent a good thing to go by for corals. I have a 70 gallon w/ a 250 mh and two 65 cf actinics which gives me like 5.5 wpg which isnt a lot by some peoples ratios but i can keep any coral i please. I have a couple clams and some sps which are thriving.

Back