Coral Poachers caught, in Florida waters

returnofsid

More sever penalty than going to jail?

Alligator reef is a protected sanctuary, that is where they really screwed up! Other that that the recreational harvest of certain species of corals, inverts and tropical fish is allowed in Florida with a valid saltwater fishing license and is regulated by florida fish and game (FWC). There are bag limits and you must be able to differentiate species. Also anything harvested must be kept in a recirculation system (ie livewell). They screwed up. Regulations can be found at http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/aquarium-species/

I am new to the hobby but have never heard that this hobby has a "bad reputation". Try commercial spearfishing in florida if you want people to think you have a bad occupation/hobby!

crazy... I didn't know you can even harvest corals in florida. They make it confusing as what to collect and where you are allowed to collect.

Alligator reef is a protected sanctuary, that is where they really screwed up! Other that that the recreational harvest of certain species of corals, inverts and tropical fish is allowed in Florida with a valid saltwater fishing license and is regulated by florida fish and game (FWC). There are bag limits and you must be able to differentiate species. Also anything harvested must be kept in a recirculation system (ie livewell). They screwed up. Regulations can be found at http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/aquarium-species/

I am new to the hobby but have never heard that this hobby has a "bad reputation". Try commercial spearfishing in florida if you want people to think you have a bad occupation/hobby!

Yep, the fines and jail time are quite high for collecting in the parks and protected waters. They may be second degree but the fines are huge. They will pay dearly. The reputation thing is over blown. Most people collect in Florida the leagal way. No different then fishing.

Since you are new to the hobby, as you say, you're unaware of the bad reputation that our hobby is getting, due to several different things. There are bills sponsored, every couple of years, that if passed, would essentially shut our hobby completely down. Fish collecting, all over Hawaii is at risk also. Each instance of something happening, like this, just strengthens the argument that our hobby is "bad." The opinion that some have, that this type of illegal behavior, is "no big deal," also strengthens that argument...

Yes, corals are allowed to be harvested, off of Florida waters, but NOT Stony Corals, which is what these two people were harvesting.

crazy... I didn't know you can even harvest corals in florida. They make it confusing as what to collect and where you are allowed to collect.

There are limits and restrictions on species, collection techniques as well as many "closed" areas, but as a hobbyist you can collect a number of fish, inverts and corals with a regular saltwater fishing license. The link posted above has all the info.

Sounds like this father and son were not only collecting blacklisted species, they were doing it in a protected area.

Amen to strong penalties! Our reefs ARE in danger. Those of you that dive or bubble watch and truly love/are obsessed with the sport as I am know what I am talking about when I say that I was S I C K when the oil spill happened in the Gulf.

If something goes bad in my reef I am heartbroken. Yes I know this will happen from time to time. When I read about reefers "trying" something in their tank that has been proven to be wrong I get P.O'd. Why would you take something off the reef IF you are not going to "do the right thing"?

Last year on Marathon Key there were hundreds of feather dusters under the dock at the home we rented. I could have easily gone out and grabbed a bagful. We watched them every day and then left them there to thrive instead of risking improper harvesting and killing them.

If you don't know what you are doing enough to know the laws on it, let alone the proper way for the safety of the wildlife, DON'T DO IT!

Word down here is that Monroe County (the Keys) has been throwing the book at poachers lately. From what I've heard, the odds are quite high they will do some jail time.

Does anyone know what is the limit in fish to take home? I know never to touch a coral reef much less smack it around with a hammer but I have brought a fish or two home. I live in Miami so I go to the keys a few times a year. Anyone know the limit in fish or inverts to take home or what the allowed rules are for not so dumb people?

Thanks for posting that Bill. I like the slot rule, maybe other countrries should practice that rule to insure angelfish and tangs forever.

I actually think FL Keys angelfish should be a "permit" only type fish. Meaning you can go get one with a proper permit.

Rock Beauties almost never survive in a home aquarium.

And.....let's be honest....who really has a tank to keep a Queen, Blue, French or Gray angel? My tanks (both) are 300 gallons and I wouldn't even attempt it!

Thanks for posting that Bill. I like the slot rule, maybe other countrries should practice that rule to insure angelfish and tangs forever.

I was involved with some research for several years that really supported the idea for slot limits for fisheries management. Unfortunately it is hard to get people (both commercial and recreational) to agree to giving up those big fish :( They just don't seem to get the concept that they are removing the "big" genes from the gene pool as well as removing the prolific breeders...i.e. bigger fish = more eggs and healthier eggs.

It sickens me to see things like this happen when there are many affordable, legal, and much more environmentally friendly ways to obtain corals. I'm sure with any penalty and jail time that will ensue, that they could easily build a VERY nice new tank in their home, completely stocked.

On a lighter note, I'm looking at the picture of the collected corals, and they didn't even pick anything good! :p

Back