Red Tide in Florida-This needs to be seen....

liverock

RC Sponsor
Nicole Forbis started this petition to Governor Rick Scott and 2 others
We are witnessing the death of our entire ecosystem.

First to die were the fish: smaller fish first, then medium sized, and all the way up to 250 lb goliath groupers.

Then went the endangered sea turtles: first the newly hatched babies, and now the adults.

Then the sharks began to die: from nurse sharks all the way up to whale sharks.

Then the manatees started dying, another of our endangered species. Yesterday in Cape Coral, right outside the town hall discussing this, 3 dead adults came to the dock and died, as a baby manatee clung to its lifeless mother, still trying to suckle while it too, died.

Now the dolphins are washing up on shore and so are birds.

Now, you might read all of this and look at the pictures and say, this is a far cry from our entire ecosystem collapsing, and I get that, but think on this.

What do our birds eat? Dead animals from red tide (K. Brevis) and the blue/ green algae (Cyanobacteria)
What do our rodents eat? Dead animals from red tide and the blue/ green algae
What do our insects eat? Dead animals from red tide and the blue/ green algae
What do our land mammals eat? The birds, rodents and insects that eat the dead animals from red tide and the blue/ green algae.

What do we eat? Fresh fish, clams, mussels from the gulf poisoned by red tide.

What air does every living thing breathe? The air filled with toxic bacteria.

What about people who don't live on the water?
- When it rains, the toxic bacteria is spread from the gulf inland, raining down toxic algae on EVERYTHING.

Now think of all the animals drinking the water as it makes its way inland through canals, rain and flooding from heavy rain?

See the death spiral, here

How can you help?
SIGN THIS PETITION SHARE THIS MESSAGE Use hashtags: #SaveSWFL and #ToxicTide

Share that the people responsible are Big Sugar, the government, the Army Corp of Engineers and the EPA.

Big Sugar was allowed to buy ALL the land between Lake Okeechobee and the Everglades to plant their sugarcane. By doing so, they cut off the natural path of the water from the natural springs upstate to the Everglades and are being allowed to dump chemicals into Lake Okeechobee.

All of this adds up to a natural disaster.
1. No where for the water to go.
2. Toxic chemicals being dumped into the lake.
3. Water so toxic that the east coast of florida sued the Army Corp of Engineers to clean it first, but the ACoE claims they didn't know it was too toxic for the gulf coast.
4. The Everglades are dying from lack of fresh water.
5. Now the entire fragile marine ecosystem is collapsing.

The $ is there.
We, the people of Florida voted and passed legislation years ago setting aside $750 million dollars a year to deal with this kind of thing and it's being spent on administrative budgets instead of land conservation and revitalization like it legally mandates.

SWFL has been trying to solve this problem for years, with no success and now it's most likely too late to reverse this, but it's not too late to stop it.

SHARE THIS MESSAGE

We need to put excruciating pressure on the president, Congress and Governor Rick Scott to take action. With the EPA being dismantled, now more than ever must we stand together and raise hell until substantive actions are taken towards fixing this ecological destruction.

Do your part, sign this petition and share it on social media, sharing it with at least one friend who you know will sign or share.

If WE don't do something, nothing will change. ♡

P.S. People keep saying it's not that bad further south in Naples, however that's because the city is reported to be cleaning up the beaches before dawn to make tourists and locals think nothing is wrong. This is not okay and why we must speak up!

This is real folks....real bad...worst I have seen in 40 years

The red tide event is said to be the worst since 2006.
A whale shark washed ashore over the weekend on Sanibel Island. At least 400 sea turtles have been found dead.
One expert says it could be a decade or longer before some of the wildlife killed this year makes a comeback.

At least 400 turtles, 10 Goliath groupers, three female manatees, hundreds of thousands of fish, seabirds and a whale shark. That's the latest tally from the worst red tide event in more than a decade to hit Southwest Florida beaches.

The toll on marine wildlife is so great that Lee County officials have opened fish disposal centers, the Fort Myers News-Press reports. Sanibel Island has started issuing status reports. The latest report, dated July 31, noted that the number of fish that washed ashore on Tuesday was fewer than on Monday but the volume was still "significant."

Over the past two weeks, the carcasses of more than 400 sea turtles have been collected on area beaches. Scientists have said the number of dead turtles is likely much higher considering many do not wash up on shore.

On Sunday, a 21-foot adult whale shark washed ashore on Sanibel Island. A necropsy revealed red tide in the juvenile whale shark's muscles, liver, intestines and stomach, the Miami Herald reported.

Other animals that are being affected include manatees, sharks, massive groupers, pelicans, double-crested cormorants and mallard and mottled ducks. Experts say the wildlife found dead on the beaches or on the surface of the ocean is only a fraction of the actual toll from the red tide. Most of the dead animals sink to the bottom of the ocean.

Veterinarian Dr. Heather Barron, from the Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife, checks the health of a Kemp's Ridley sea turtle that was found washed ashore after becoming sick in the red tide on August 1, 2018, in Sanibel, Florida.
(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Heather Barron, medical and research director at the Center for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife on Sanibel, told weather.com Thursday that it could be a decade or longer before some of the wildlife killed this year makes a comeback.

"Critically endangered species such as the Goliath grouper or Kemp’s ridley sea turtle take roughly a decade to reach breeding age," she said.

Barron said since the start of this latest red tide outbreak, the shores of Sanibel have become a literal "ghost town."

"When I arrived in 2011, I saw more healthy wildlife here than almost anywhere that I had ever been. It was paradise," Barron said. "Now our shores are a ghost town. The wildlife is either dead or has fled. The only things left are the scavengers of the dead, like crows and vultures."

The bloom originated in waters off Lee County near Fort Myers in October but has expanded to include waters just south of Tampa Bay to the Collier-Monroe border. It is the longest bloom since 2006. The National Weather Service has issued a red tide beach hazard advisory for Lee, Charlotte and Sarasota counties.

Algae blooms of cyanobacteria and Karenia brevis originate from runoff containing human waste and fertilizers from nearby farms and ordinary neighborhoods, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Nitrogen and phosphorus, as well as other nutrients in the polluted runoff, can act like fertilizer for the algae, creating large and long-lasting blooms.

The dead animals in the water add to the severity of the algae bloom.

Jody Bussell of Trenton, Ohio, told weather.com she is on vacation with her family this week on Captiva Island. She noted that every day more and more fish are washing ashore.

"It’s truly heartbreaking watching fish jump out of the water trying to escape the suffocation from the water, to see the shoreline lined with dead fish, to see the ocean filled with floating dead fish and to hear the people coughing and sneezing everywhere you go on the beach," Bussell said. "The beach is one of my favorite places to go and this week has broken my heart for our beaches and the wildlife."

There are many like Barron working to save the animals sickened by the water. Scores of people from around the world have expressed concern for the plight of the wildlife in Southwest Florida. A Facebook page called #toxic18 was created as a place to share photos and information about the ongoing algae bloom. The page gained 1,000 new members in a single day this week.

"I am demoralized by all the death, but heartened by the kindness and concern that people the world over are showing to us as we deal with this state of emergency," Barron said. "I’m hopeful that this may serve as a wakeup call for those in office that they need to put the health and welfare of their constituency and the environment we all have to inhabit before those of big industry. We need to be more proactive about protecting our most precious natural resources before it is too late.

"Wildlife is like our 'canary in the coal mine,' and the canary just died. We shouldn’t have to think about what that is telling us."

Humans Also at Risk
Not only is wildlife affected by the bloom, humans are also displaying symptoms.

Meghan Temple, 33, of Lexington, Kentucky, was on vacation with her family on Sanibel Island last week. She told weather.com the time they spent at the beach was "interesting, to say the least."

"We were coughing like crazy and the smell made our noses drip," she said. "There were dead fish everywhere, and the water was rough, super rough."

Bussell noted that the air quality on Captiva Island is "so bad you immediately start coughing and sneezing, and irritation starts in your throat and eyes."

The situation has become so dire that some beach restaurants are closing their doors because the smell is overwhelming customers and restaurant employees.

If ingested, water contaminated with toxic cyanobacteria can cause nausea, vomiting and, in severe cases, acute liver failure, the FWC says.

The Centers for Disease Control says coming in direct contact with the algae can result in a rash. Some research indicates a link between long-term inhalation of toxic algae fumes and neurological disorders like Parkinson’s and Lou Gehrig’s diseases.

This is happening south of Tampa Bay, but just as easily could be anywhere. There is no political intent here, just the reality of what is and has transpired here in Florida for years. This is being covered up as it has decimated the tourism on both coasts of Florida.

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=tbw&wwa=beach hazards statement

Last edited:
This thread will be closed if the personal attacks don't stop.

It will also be closed if the emotional rhetoric/political commentary doesn't stop. Red tide has been around for hundreds of years (just a little bit of research shows that an event was recorded as early as 1844).

I doubt the circumstances of today match the circumstances of 1844.

Multiple posts have been removed.

There are many articles on this subject. There are many experts interviewed, and many potential causes cited.

There is no doubt that temps are also in play here...there has always been red tides in Florida, Texas, east coast of the US.....but....they are getting worse every year.

This year what started as a usual event has turned into an environmental disaster.....

The culprit? too many nutrients ....what happens in your tank when it is overloaded with nutrients...we all know that.

This year the out break was fueled by the powers that be releasing water from lake Okeechobee that is so severely polluted it has fueled red tide like never before. They have to lower the lake as it has too much water and if the levee is breached, thousands would die like what happened many years ago in the pre-dike days.

Early on September 17, 1928 the storm made landfall near West Palm Beach, Florida, with winds of 145 mph (233 km/h). In the city, more than 1,711 homes were destroyed. Elsewhere in the county, impact was most severe around Lake Okeechobee. The storm surge caused water to pour out of the southern edge of the lake, flooding hundreds of square miles as high as 20 feet (6.1 m) above ground. Numerous houses and buildings were swept away in the cities of Belle Glade, Canal Point, Chosen, Pahokee, and South Bay. At least 2,500 people drowned, while damage was estimated at $25 million

They water is almost black, and is being channeled out to the Atlantic, and to the Gulf VIA rivers and canals as I write this. There is a lot of finger pointing going on down here....but it all began when the COE diverted and channelized the Kissimmee river/watershed that used to flow and distribute the water naturally through Florida into the glades river of grass....and eventually to Florida bay. Also when highway 41 across the southern part of Florida was constructed, it produced a dike which prevented the natural flow of this water many years ago.

They are in process of removing Hwy 41 as it is now, and elevating the road to allow the natural water flow to resume again. I saw it happening last trip to the Keys...slowly, but there are some sections of elevated road nearing completion.

After the natural flow of the Kissimmee river is restored, which is underway now but will take many years...and Hwy 41 project is completed this will begin to rebound.

The issue of Lake O and the serious water quality problems it has is another story

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Last edited:
Hi Richard - I was wondering if you can edit the title and maybe make it related to the issue. Maybe not the bill but something related to the subject. I'm not being difficult but I almost glossed over the thread until I saw it was posted by you. With that out of the way I don't believe you typically post this so I've been reading a bit more about it - thanks.

Out here on the West Coast I saw a couple articles or stories last week on the red tide. I was not sure if there was a duration with it or anything they can do short term to dissipate or move it along. Or is this something Earth takes care of itself in time but the problem is occurring faster due to humans.

In any case is the petition local only or out of state ok? I wasn't sure what sort of signatures matter or even if your Gov. can do anything with them. Hope all is well.

[MENTION=218]mhurley[/MENTION] - thanks. Appreciate it. I've had a few conference calls that I didn't need to pay attention to so while attending I was also reading :) Please don't rat me out :D Seriously though - educational to say the least. I like it when I learn something new.

I had a 2 hour call last week that was wholly unnecessary. I read a pizza cookbook for 90% of it. Good book.

The last toxic one in Texas was 2016? They have not been that frequent from Port A to Padre Island since they opened up a water inlet between the two locations. With our drought this year I am surprised we have not had one?

On NBC national news again tonight 8/10/18

On NBC national news again tonight 8/10/18

Another story about what is happening here in southwest Florida.... NBC tonight....

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Got some Foxy news front page action this morning. Looks like Gov. Scott is declaring a state of emergency on it. I've not read it yet so not sure if it is waste removal related, smell, or environment. In any case news is starting to spread which is what you guys/gals need - awareness, etc.

Back