Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank) - split

I found them, I guess I was looking at the sub-albums and not seeing any pics (or only a few) in those. I neglected to look at the main bucket.

FYI for anyone interested, here is the link: http://s998.photobucket.com/user/reefandrainforest/library/?sort=3&page=1

The trick is that PB has really screwed with the login process. So if you happen to be lucky and have an ad-free account, you have to first log into that - which is a tedious process in which you have to mouse-over the "login" button to get the overlay, then it goes away when you try to click on the username filed, repeat a few times until you can get a cursor there and the overlay doesn't go away, then tab (don't click) to the password field, usually after that the overlay drops again, but keeps the info, mouse over again, click login, this does not log you in but instead reloads the page.

Repeat all of the above again to actually log in. If you can do it without the side pop-up ad pushing the entire page to the right in the middle of all of this.

Then once you are in your account and looking at your bucket, replace the URL with the direct link to mr.wilson's bucket in the same window - NOT a new tab (that will log you out, of all tabs) and then hit enter and you will see his bucket.

If you happen to click any link that opens something up in a new window, chance are extremely high that you will end up getting logged out of all tabs.

Now, try to download an album. Supposedly you are supposed to be able to do this, but I haven't been able to make it work. On Chrome and FF I go through the "I'm not a robot" thing as well as the captcha test (which only pops up on Chrome, not FF) and when you go to download, it throws an error "hmmm something went wrong, try it again" but the download button does not do anything, and trying again from scratch = dead download button, usually you have to reload the tab and repeat and it still does not work.

So my guess is they don't want people downloading their stuff and taking it elsewhere, more Photobucket Jail Warden tactics, and my guess is they are intentionally making it difficult to stay logged in thus increasing their pop up ad view and thus revenue.

AFAIK they did not sell but the rumors are that the dropped from 60 employees to 20 recently and then the Paywall issue has doubled their income in the last month...some people are actually paying it.

FYI Mr. Wilson I was able to download your entire main bucket just now. If you want I can upload it to my server and give you a download link to the zip file :) it's only 152M lol

Peter,

NUMEROUS years ago, some friends and I tried creating and running the WGMS (West GTA Marine Society). At one point, we had the privilege as a group to visit the tank and see the build. We were all blown away, and the wife still talks about it to this day, as she tagged along (she's sleeping right now, and when I become the bearer of bad news in the morning about what happened to your tank a while ago, I am sure she will be devestated). I still to this day remember you giving your little welcome speech when we all arrived after having all gathered at Tim Hortons before making our way to your home, and you let us know that a Sushi dinner would arrive at 7:30. No sooner my watch turned over to 7:30, your doorbell rang. And there was dinner. Amazing.

I looked up this thread because I still have my salt water aquarium I started in 2007. And I now have four-year-old identical twin girls. And they obsess with our tank. And I thought to see if you still took visitors because I am sure the girls would be beside themselves to see your tank. But having found the thread and seen the sympathy posts, I scrolled back numerous pages to read the news.

Peter, as you've heard dozens of times already, I am sorry for your loss. Maybe one-day things will have picked up enough so the girls and I can pay another visit. Until then, be well, and all the best. May the best of your past be the worst of your future

CHEERS!

FYI Mr. Wilson I was able to download your entire main bucket just now. If you want I can upload it to my server and give you a download link to the zip file :) it's only 152M lol

Great work!

Yes, please send me a link to the zip file. Storage was an issue 10 years ago when I started using PB, but now disk space is never an issue.

Now we just need a RC admin to go through the whole thread and make new links for each image:)

Right! Probably not likely to happen, but it would be nice...there was a vB mod for converting hotlinked images to server-hosted attachments, but not for 3.8 unfortunately. It could probably be custom-modified to make it work, but not sure on that even. I know other platforms have that capability, but with Big Boards it takes a lot of time to perform that operation. But, for posterity, I think it would be worth it.

File is uploaded, I'll PM you the link

Well, I have a happy ending to the sad story of Peter's tank blowout. Peter is taking a break from the hobby to surface for some air. The epic tank build consumed the first five years of his retirement, which was a very healthy transition for the accomplished businessman and over-achiever. Peter & Judy & Molly have had a great break together, but he does miss you all.

Peter has graciously donated the tank and support equipment to my new retail store where it will have a second life. We were able to cut the tank down from a 24' long L, to a manageable 13' long rectangular tank. We hope to do Peter's legacy justice in its new home as our reef show tank.

So out of the ashes, the Phoenix rises. The new name for the tank is "Phoenix", as it is reborn. While the tank isn't ready to retire and move to Arizona yet, it will be well cared for in Niagara's wine region, here in Canada. Peter has promised to stop and visit Phoenix while on his routine wine route through our scenic countryside. He will get a chance to see his baby without having to roll up his sleeves. Of course we get him to feed the fish ceremoniously before he drives home with a Bentley full of Niagara's finest wines.

Here are some pics of me cutting the tank down. The sawsall cut through the 1.5" acrylic much easier than I had intended. We had one leak during the process, the city-provided main shut off for his water is located under the tank of all places. The valve was old and corroded, so it refused to give up its duty and allowed a trickle to pass thorough. A very nice city worker came out and shut the water down from the road to fix it. Hopefully Peter will post a pic of his new premium valve. We fit the tank in our 24' long trailer. We used a scissor jack cart to lower the tank and 1" PVC pipes to roll it onto the cart. Huge thanks to Jamie Grimm and his crew for the hard work and bright ideas. We bought some pneumatic flat dollies to move the tank up Peter's hill at the side of the house, then with a combination of manpower and an electric winch, we pushed and pulled the tank into the trailer. We never found out the weight of the tank, but it's got to be 1000lbs for the remaining 13' rectangle. Six people were able to move it through leverage though. There has to be a lesson in there somewhere:)

Before
11043226_1566738423608039_4770557896510081309_o.jpg

Great to hear that the tank will be reborn. It was such a wonderful tank. Good luck on the re start and keep us updated. [emoji3][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Mr. Wilson.......for an incredible journey and for the classy epilogue! I miss the tank and the community that went with it but life moves on. I seriously considered continuing on with another tank but I realized that I didn't want to spend the next 5 years of my life getting back to where I was so I planned something even more elaborate. I could see how quickly that was going to escalate into something waaaay beyond a retirement project so I decided to pack it in.

Its been almost two years to the day now and the challenge I have is trying to figure out what to do with the space vacated by the tank. Tomorrow I have the original architect who suggested the aquarium in the first place coming by to help figure out what to do next. I have finally accepted that there really isn't any equivalent function or impact that will match Peter's Fish Tank.......or the community that surrounded it here on the forum. I'll just have to see what comes in the near future.....

I would like to recognize the incredible success you had with the managing of the tank removal. I never thought your immeasurable knowledge and skills with aquarium builds would be matched with the removal but I should know by now that this is truly your world without any peers to challenge that! Thanks Mr. Wilson I'm looking forward to your next chapter........

By the way I did manage to scrape a fully intact copy of the thread with all the photos and dialogue in place so I have a diary of the 5 years well spent and the incredible memories to boot.

Peter

A great ending and journey, glad I could follow from Africa! Truel an inspirational tank!
Mr Wilson link to your website and hopefully there will be a webcam

Back