Corals bleaching, zoas closing

It may be a pathogen. Did it start with a new addition or with a new addition first then spread to other corals?

I will also guess that you likely removed too much phosphate too soon. All corals need some amount of phosphate, including SPS. I'd overfeed your fish for a little while and see if that doesn't help. If your levels of phosphate weren't hurting anything, I wouldn't have worried about it. My guess is based strictly on the fact you noticed the problems right after switching to the BRS GFO. Hope you get it sorted out.

Update. I looked at my Monti and it looked like it might possibly have a tiny piece of fuzz (size of a pin tip) so I took my turkey baster to see if I could blow it off. The color of over 50% of the Monti just blew away showing the white skeleton. If I do have nudis, how can I treat the tank. My corals are attached.

You can't treat the tank you need to quarantine the montiporas. Take them all out of the tank and wait until the Nudibranch die from no food in the reef. I just remove all the montipora from the rock and frag them, make sure there are no plates for eggs or Nudibranch to hide in and check the frags under magnification before placing or treating them in the qt.
It is a waiting game in the display tank. It is a pain, been there done that...

Last edited:
Update. I looked at my Monti and it looked like it might possibly have a tiny piece of fuzz (size of a pin tip) so I took my turkey baster to see if I could blow it off. The color of over 50% of the Monti just blew away showing the white skeleton. If I do have nudis, how can I treat the tank. My corals are attached.

Oh no! Sorry to hear!

Update:
Raised PH to 8.2 and dipped a zoa frag in CoralRx.

Only one monti-cap was destroyed. I have others that seem to be fine. My cat's paw is getting worse (turning white), my zoas are still mostly closed (even the one I dipped). I have a white spot on my favia that for the most part seems to have stopped growing. My Mg is still how - not sure how to lower. I'm stumped.

Back