correct light for a 20gal

ryan27272

ok, first off I know everyone tells me to just get a auqapod but i like my set up. I have a 20 gallon long(30"x12"x12"), 1 1/2" live sand, 20lbs live rock, marineland biowheel filter(the one rated for 50 gallon), 2 clowns, a six line, and a bi-color. oh and a good clean up crew.
my concern is lighting cause id like to keep some nice corals. iwas looking at a coralife compact, its 2 bulb 130w total. it sounds like what i need for my small and shallow tank from what i read. id really like your opinions.
oh and if anyone has any helpfull hints on if i should get a skimmer or a fuge for such a small tank, id apreciate it.
ryan

[welcome]

Need to narrow down "nice corals" a bit more. The light you mentioned should work for some softies, but wouldn't be enough for stony corals.

And when you say "bi-color", an angel? If so, that will limit what corals you can get.

lol sorry its a bicolor blenny. trying to limit myself to the most docile and small fish. so really just soft corals for that fixture? im actually not sure what types i want, just want nice colors and not to hard to care for. what do you recomend?

Ahh okay, that is a lot better.

Yea, there might be a few exceptions, I would suggest softies with that light.

Would think that some cheaper zoas, mushrooms, and the like would be a good place to start.

I keep mushrooms and LPS under my PC's on my 20 long with no problem what so ever.

I would do a HOB (hang on back) skimmer for your tank. You can just do water changes more often but a skimmer sure helps getting stuff out of the water.

Click on my red house to see my 20 long build thread might give you a few ideas.

Back