crocea clam spitting white stuff

DaveG99

I know its spawning and I read that they do this under stress. I just got him today so Im hoping it was stress from moving him. Plus my tank has iwasaki bulbs that have a lot more par than the 20k bulbs he was under. You think the higher par and moving from one tank to another could make him stress? After seeing him spawn I moved him to the side of the tank where the light isnt as strong. All my SPS are doing great as well as the livestock. My nitrates and phosphates are zero. My alk is 8 and I didnt test calcium but Im sure its over 400 as usual. I also drip kalk.

Last edited:
keep your skimmer clean and check it often, running some carbon will help too.

you're right it was probably caused by the move but light shock can be stressful too. if you can cover him a little to acclimate or lower your photoperiod.

make sure to check his colour today and post a pic if you can.

good luck

Im running carbon in a mesh bag like I always do. My skimmer is doing a great job also. I moved him away from direct light. He seems to be not extending his mantle out very much. Is this normal for 24 hours after putting him in the tank? He is also just sitting on the sand. Should I allow him to attach to something?

A little info on my lighting. My tank is 16"tall and I have a 175 iwasaki 15k bulb in there. Supposedly the par is equal to a 250watt MH according to sanjay's test results.

Last edited:
It can take a little bit of time for clams to get used to your system, and fully extend its mantle. I've had clams that take up to a week to get fully settled, while others are out and looking great in a few hours.

How is it looking today?

I dont know yet. Im at work and when I leave its dark. I'll be home in a couple hours and I'll report back. I'll even get some pics. I keep my parameters pretty stable by dripping the limewater. My SPS corals are doing great.

yeah and my girl loves clams. I'll have to try another one of these days.

I didnt acclimate him very well. Would lack of acclimation be enough to kill a clam?

Sorry to hear that, sometimes they may have already been under tremendous stress at the lfs or during shipping. Or they weren't healthy.....just my two cents.

Back